Can we add a "Read More" link within the Entry of Story Map?

10-15-2018 10:44 AM
KennethFung
New Contributor II

I am currently developing a story map and I wonder, instead of putting a lengthy text on a single entry of the side panel (Side Accordion), can we add something like a "read more" button (or link) so once the reader click the link the rest of the text can show up within the entry, without adding a separate URL link or directing the reader to a separate entry?

I ask this because as far as I can tell, all built-in options of creating link as to do it "externally" (like an separate URL or separate section), but not within the same entry (like a "read more" link I try to create).

It seems some kinds of API  or SDK is needed to make it work. So if you have suggestions, please kindly provide a step-by-step procedure for me to follow since I am a novice on scripts or codes (if not an outright phobia!). Greatly appreciated for any input and many thanks!

Ken

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kenneth

We don't support expanding a block of text specifically. Like you say you can do a hyperlink to an external web page. You could add a Story Map action into the text that jumps readers to another section in your Story Map Journal or Story Map Series. So for example you could create another section in your Story Map that goes into a topic in more detail, and then allow readers to jump directly to that section if they want to find out more. 

Rupert

0 Kudos
KennethFung
New Contributor II

Thanks Rupert. Having a link to another section of my Story Map may be the way to get around the issue.

Ken

0 Kudos
KennethFung
New Contributor II

What about the API? Is there any code that I can use to create such effect? In other words, I can set a link (or button) as "read more" and the text will show up.

Something similar to this example but the subject is additional text rather than maps?

https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/create-buttons-for-story-actions-in-map-series-ec71bae... 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

You can download the source code and try and do that as a customization. See the If You're A Developer section at the end of our Resources page for an overview of this: Resources | Story Maps . I'm not sure however how much work would be involved in doing that, or whether that particular customization is possible. 

In general I think I'd push back a bit on this enhancement and say that if you have a block of text that is so large that you'd prefer not to show it all at once, it would be better to simply reduce or edit down the amount of text instead, or restructure your story so that you can break that long text into smaller sections. Or at least, I don't think it would be worth trying to customize the app just to provide this specific text handing.

Rupert

0 Kudos
GeneH_Chesco
New Contributor III

If you're using a self hosted story map, perhaps this Pure CSS read more toggle code will work for you.

0 Kudos