ArcMap to Storymap?

Jump to solution
02-20-2019 08:56 AM
EvanStern
New Contributor II

Can I put an ArcMap file (.mxd) into my Storymap or do I have to design it completely on ArcOnline?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Now we get into the realm of permissions in AGOL.  Are you part of an organization that has an AGOL account?  If so, then your AGOL administrator needs to set your user account to the appropriate role before you can create content (Publisher or higher).  If your role within your AGOL organization is "User", you won't be able to publish content (hosted layers) to AGOL.

How do you know what your role is?  Within AGOL, open "My Profile" and it will list your role.AGOL Profile

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Your MXD could be used to create a map service which you would then use within a Storymap.

The design of the StoryMap is largely done within ArcGIS Online.

I suggest looking at some of ESRI's training classes

This learning plan has a lot of free content: Make and Share Web Maps with ArcGIS Online

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
EvanStern
New Contributor II

Jay,

Thanks, that helps. I'm not sure how to make a service though. I got as far the screenshot that I have attached, but not sure what URL to put if I want to upload this map to my ArcOnline account. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Evan

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Ah, I assumed you were publishing a map service to your own in-house ArcServer.  If, instead, you are relying on ArcGIS Online (AGOL) for everything, it is actually a lot easier.  

First thing, you cannot include basemap layers in a service - essentially they already exist as ESRI-hosted services, so remove the two "World Dark..." layers from your MXD.  Once you've published your custom data as a service in AGOL, it will show up in your Content and you can add it to a Map, then select "World Dark..." as the basemap.

So, to publish your data to AGOL, make sure that in ArcMap you are logged in to AGOL (File, Sign-in).  Then, when you go to File, Share-As, Service, Publish Service, select "My Hosted Services" from the "Choose a connection" drop down.

Selecting My Hosted Services

That should get you a lot closer to where you want to be.  Be aware that this copies your data to the server and will consume some credits, but honestly data storage is a really low usage thing and hardly uses any credits for small data sets.

Good luck.

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
EvanStern
New Contributor II

Jay,

Wish I could say that finished it. Still, when I got to Publish a Service, there was no option for "My Hosted Service". I have signed in to my ArcOnline account.

Thanks for your time!

Evan

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Now we get into the realm of permissions in AGOL.  Are you part of an organization that has an AGOL account?  If so, then your AGOL administrator needs to set your user account to the appropriate role before you can create content (Publisher or higher).  If your role within your AGOL organization is "User", you won't be able to publish content (hosted layers) to AGOL.

How do you know what your role is?  Within AGOL, open "My Profile" and it will list your role.AGOL Profile

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
EvanStern
New Contributor II

No, I have a personal AGOL account. I should check to see if my organization has one, and perhaps use that instead.

Thanks,

Evan

0 Kudos
GreysonHarris
New Contributor III

If you don't need your map to be interactive, you might also consider exporting a layout from Arc as a JPG or PNG (or even just taking a screenshot) and then uploading it to the story map as you would any other image. This can be useful if you need a quick solution until you figure out how to share your map to Online; or it can be a permanent solution in the case you don't actually need to have readers click, pan, and zoom the map.

Cooper Thomas discusses the pros and cons of static versus interactive graphics here. (The tutorial is about using charts in StoryMaps, but the considerations apply equally to maps/web maps).

Good luck,

Greyson

0 Kudos