Would anyone want to collaborate on a story map that depicted racial profiling within America in the last 10 years? #Ferguson

08-16-2014 07:23 AM
RachelStevenson1
New Contributor II

After having read the news articles and the commentary concerning what is happening in Ferguson MO, I am wondering if a map that showcases large racial profiling events by the police using story maps would be a good resource and tool.

3 Replies
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III

Just out of curiosity, what would be the purpose of such a map? How would you collect data and ensure it is accurate, fair, and valid?

I think setting out to establish a map to depict racial profiling will likely produce skewed results. You can create a map to depict anything you wish, which is the nature of statistical data. How would you define large racial profiling events?

RachelStevenson1
New Contributor II

Angelyn,

So this was more of an idea  to see if it was a need and if people thought it was worth while.

So these are all good questions, I am a student trying to get my hands dirty by engaging in real life situations which could ( possibly) be mapped out... but I don't know how to do it or where to start so i am hoping if I involve others perhaps I can learn how to develop these skills while also gaining experience.

However, in regards to defining large racial profiling events, Id use what the media focuses on as a measurement of the events that have taken place in the last ten years.  That's my initial thoughts. But I am wondering if such a thing is needed and if people wanted to be involved. No use in making it myself if there is no interest in the topic.

Thanks,

Rachel

0 Kudos
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III

Like all research, the results are only as good as the data that was collected. I would first find quality, reliable, non-controversial data (facts) to use before moving forward. Do some research on how justice departments define racial profiling. Figure out how profiling events are recorded. Get some answers on how and why profiling is used. Where are the databases? Who has access to them? What kind of data is captured? What is your hypothesis and/or story-line? What types of profiling events will you be examining and why?

If you come up with some interesting data, people might be inclined to participate. I think your original intention is a bit vague. You stated you want to make a map showing where the police use racial profiling, but how do you intend to do that? and why? and who is your audience? If you haven't conducted any research yet, how do you know large scale profiling events have in fact occurred? And if you discover that they have, what point are you making exactly? That it is detrimental? That is leads to riots? That it is a symptom of something else. Just events alone doesn't produce a captivating story. What are the facts showing the viewer?

I'm not sure media reporting is an accurate and factual resource to use for something like this. Media reports are often inaccurate, particularly early on in an event, and are glamorized to sell advertisement space. Not a great reference. It could be an interesting story map, depending on who your intended audience is and the quality of the data you use.