Why won't pop ups in a Story Map: Map Series work on a smartphone?

03-30-2020 02:45 PM
ShaneBradt
New Contributor III

I'm having trouble with a Classic Esri Story Maps - pop ups don't work on iOS devices (see https://arcg.is/19CLzG)

The pop ups work just fine with a desktop browser, but when I try to click on a point on the map on my iPhone and iPad (each running current the OS), the pop ups rarely appear. Instead, I click away over and over again, nearly always to no effect.

I tried increasing the size of the icons, which didn't solve the problem. I also tried viewing the Story Map on Firefox on both devices, and the pop ups didn't work there either.

I tried the ArcGIS Online map itself and the pop ups work just fine on both devices. I also tried embedding the map in a dashboard, then viewing it on the same devices - the pop ups work there too.

Any ideas about what is happening and how to fix it? Or is this a known problem with the Classic Story Maps on iOS devices?

Thanks so much,

Shane Bradt

UNH Cooperative Extension

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShaneBradt
New Contributor III

Quick update: If I tap twice in quick succession, the pop up often (although not always) appears as it should (~85% of the time). This action also causes the map to Zoom in, which is not ideal.

0 Kudos
MiaMassicotte
Occasional Contributor

Mac user here - your pop ups are behaving as described on my iPad. Double tap opens; then also zooms in.  I opened in Safari and Chrome browsers, same thing.  

hope it's a bug that gets fixed - I frequently encounter weird zoom/extent popup issues when building storymaps using my Mac desktop, fwiw 
Mia

0 Kudos
ShaneBradt
New Contributor III

Thanks for checking it out and responding Mia Massicotte‌!

I finally decided it was too important to ignore, so I wound up figuring out a work around to put a splash screen on my Story Map (if you care about how, I'd be happy to bore you with the details...). I feel better now knowing that I have provided a bit of guidance and warning. I know how frustrating (and panic-inducing) it was for me to realize that I had no way to click on the points on my phone.

I haven't run into any pop up issues on my Mac, but I sure seem to have issues with setting Zoom levels from time to time.

Shane

KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Hi Shane- 

Glad to see your post, we just noticed this yesterday. Perhaps aligning with the last AGOL update last week?  There seems to be a disconnect between the map pop-ups and the Classic builders (Cascade and Journal from my experience, plus your Series template),pop-ups work find in web appbuilder applications.  I will keep digging and keep an eye on this thread. 

Thanks-

Kate

0 Kudos