Timeline Storymap

Jump to solution
07-19-2018 05:44 PM
TuolumneRiver
New Contributor II

Hi!  I am trying to create a timeline of events and I really love the way the 'America's Nuclear Moonscape' storymap was created:

https://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2014/nuclear-moonscape/

I am having a difficult time recreating a timeline format similar to this.  Is there a template that I can work off that will give me similar result?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tuolumne, 

This app can be downloaded from GitHub: GitHub - leebock/nuclear-moonscape: application files for the nuclear moonscape (yucca flats) story ... 

Although you'll need to host it somewhere yourself and configuration will be through code rather than a builder as it's not an out of the box Esri template. 

Carmel

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tuolumne, 

This app can be downloaded from GitHub: GitHub - leebock/nuclear-moonscape: application files for the nuclear moonscape (yucca flats) story ... 

Although you'll need to host it somewhere yourself and configuration will be through code rather than a builder as it's not an out of the box Esri template. 

Carmel

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi -- There's also this blog with a lot of different ways to show time in a story map that don't require custom development.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
JohannaPrüssmann1
New Contributor III

I'm sad that the America's Nuclear Moonscape' storymap is no longer available.

I would love it if it were possible to have a Timeline widget or block or something, where I could showcase maps and multimedia contents in a manner similar to the Portfolio Instant App, but with the ability to select the different contents from a timeline in the lower part of the screen, where I can set time periods for the different contents.

Something similar to this example:
Revolutionary User Interfaces (knightlab.com)

I'm not a coder, so building it from scratch is sadly not an option for me.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JohannaPrüssmann1 -- There are several web visualization tools out there that can make timelines (without coding). If you make a timeline in one of those, you can easily embed it in your story.

Also, there is a new block available in ArcGIS StoryMaps called Timeline that might be helpful. It's not a fully dynamic/interactive timeline like the example that you shared, but it will allow you to add a series of events with text and images, and you can also indicate where there might be gaps of time in the timeline. For more about the timeline block see ArcGIS StoryMaps presents the timeline block (esri.com).

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Owen,

I have checked out the blog linked above and it's a great resource for creating a verticle timeline. However, I have been tasked to recreate a horizontal timeline, similar to this one. Horizontal Timeline (esri.com)  

I can't seem to find any documentation on how this was created. Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated! 
Thank you,

Vanessa

0 Kudos
Ross
by
New Contributor
Hi Vanessa, thanks for your question. We used the embed block in ArcGIS StoryMaps to add the horizontal timeline. It's a custom code implementation where we used AirTable for content management and some CSS for styling. The embed block in ArcGIS StoryMaps is really flexible and lets you expand the capabilities of the builder. Let me know if you have additional questions.

-Ross