Story Map Tour caption description fails to save with web links

Jump to solution
07-15-2015 10:40 AM
MadeleineMorgan
New Contributor II

I'm adding web links to my caption descriptions in my Story Map Tour.  The error message I receive is "save failed due to an invalid html tag in a name or description".  My syntax is as follows:

In the summer, you’ll probably need a reservation to ensure a site.<br><a href="https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Asheville,+NC/Standing+Indian+Campground,+National+Forest+Road,+Fran..." title="Directions to Asheville" target="_blank" style="outline: none;">Directions to Asheville </a><br>

When I click enter to add the caption, the text and link work perfectly.  It just won't save it.  Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
jdcayetano
New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem as well wherein I want to embed a video in my Story Maps text:

But it also says invalid html tag. I was wondering if it's possible to really embed the video here and if yes what have I been doing wrong?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry about your issues. Unfortunately the authorized HTML in Map Tour is restricted and especially when using a Feature Service.

We are working on publishing an updated list of supported tag and attributes. From now, we have the following article that cover our Map Journal application and it's going to be similar for all apps going forward 

https://developerscorner.storymaps.arcgis.com/using-custom-html-in-map-journal-70913cfff66e#.qqq4n8t... 

To answer your question: if you are using Feature Service you cannot include an iframe, but if you are using a feature collection (all the choice when you create your tour but I need to upload my images in ArcGIS) it is possible.

When you receive the following error, you can look at the following documentation to find out what tag this might be Feature services and client applications—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server 

0 Kudos
jdcayetano
New Contributor II

Oh so that means that if I used a Feature Service then it's not possible to embed a video (html code) at all? Then would it mean that I have to redo the Story Map again?

0 Kudos
DavidRichardson2
New Contributor

I'm getting the same "Save failed due to invalid html tag..." error while trying to Use the My Stories "edit story" app to change a picture caption description on a Map Tour where the photos were uploaded to AGOL.  I've checked the quotes, and the list of allowable tags and attributes from this and related blog posts on this site but can not figure out what I am doing wrong.

Is there any updated documentation for exactly what is or is not allowed currently (Jan. 2017)?  Because other examples give conflicting guidance (example: Adding links to captions in your Story Map Tour | ArcGIS Blog )

A minimal example of what I am trying to do is below.  It shows up fine when I hit return in the editor window, but fails to save.

This is some text. More text. <br><font size="-2" color="#f5f591">
<i>Photo caption &copy; today</i></font><hr>
<a href="http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/supported-html.htm" target="_blank">
<font color="#3366bb"><b>More Information on tags</b></font></a>

Thanks for any guidance!

-Dave

EricSchrepel
New Contributor

Let's remove the "with links" part of this question and just name it "Caption fails to save". The UI would be hugely improved if it would highlight any invalid tags/attributes in the caption so we know what to fix. Worst of both worlds at the moment: when you press enter after pasting in caption text, it'll display almost anything, including invalid tags. (For example, we had tags like <strong style="color:blue"> which displayed just great when you'd press Enter.) But then the Save button says something's invalid, but doesn't tell you what.

It'd save us some frustration if either a) when you press Enter after pasting, it would just strip the invalid tags/attributes so we see what didn't work, or b) when you click Save, it tells you specifically what caused the error.