Select to view content in your preferred language

Story Map Shortlist template add feature search

08-14-2016 11:24 PM
CameronBlandy
Occasional Contributor

Was wondering if it is possible to add search (feature) capabilities to a hosted story map shortlist application. It is possible to add search options to the web map used for the shortlist application but it does not show up in the shortlist application. Would like to be able to add a small search icon near the navigation bar and let the user type in text that searches the tabs for features contain the text typed in in.

6 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi Cameron,

This would definitely be useful and we have this listed as an enhancement for the app. It is possible to add something like that via customization of the app code but I've not been able to find a really great example of this for you to look at. Here are two examples I found. In the second one it is a one-time search and doesn't return multiple results.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d4edd52051cc4ea8ab7bbc763b5cb4aa 

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6fdb34c54f7b4be4a614ae882346c684 

Rupert

0 Kudos
GIS_AdministratorCity_of_GP
New Contributor II

Hi Rupert, has this feature been implemented yet? I would like to add the feature search to the template hosted on ArcGIS Online instead of downloading, customizing and hosting on our server.

If not, is there a timeline or workaround?

Thanks,

City of Grande Prairie ArcGIS Online Admin

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi, if you want to have a filter/search that applies to the places shown in the Shortlist tabs, so it filters or highlights the places in the tab and on the map, this hasn't been implement and isn't planned currently. We'd like to do it but it isn't on the list of priorities now just because of time. 

If you want users to be able to search for individual addresses or features on the map, that is supported. This lets people navigate around the map and doesn't interact with the places in the tabs (although if a user pans or zooms to the location they found, the tabs will respond in the normal Shortlist way to show you the places in that location). You can configure this in the Shortlist Builder's Settings > Map Options dialog, and it will pick up custom search options set up in the web map that your Shortlist is using:

Rupert

GIS_AdministratorCity_of_GP
New Contributor II

Thanks Rupert.

I already have the search for features in place.

0 Kudos
ELIZABETHEBERLE
New Contributor II

I would also like to have a search capability, to search for sites within my tabs. Right now I can search addresses, but I want to narrow it down to my site listings. Do you have a time frame when this will be added? Thank you.

DarrylKlassen1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Cameron,

I would also like to have this capability.  I am fairly new to the Javascript API and am not sure how to incorporate a search capability for this particular app.  I have downloaded the template and configured it for my data, but would also like to add this search capability.  If you find any answers to this, please post and I will do the same.

Thanks

Darryl