Story map shortlist: address, place, feature finder, Zooms way out?

Jump to solution
10-26-2017 02:55 PM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I'm using the Shortlist Story Map and I have the address, place, and feature finder enabled. When I type in a location the tool will find it but when I click on it instead of the map zooming in to the place I was searching for it does the opposite and zooms way out which isn't very useful. Is this a known issue? Do I have a setting not enabled correctly? As it sits right now it might be better if I disable the feature if its not working correctly.

Thanks for any insight,

Kathy

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

What I meant was, when it knows an obvious boundary, it will zoom right to it, like in Pelican, AK. This is what Google finds:

The red must be the city limit, I am assuming. But for Cowee Creek, it must use an arbitrary boundary to zoom to. I wish I knew the inner-workings of the Esri geocoder a little better but that's how I understand this to work.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

You're right. It has been found. But it will zoom to the extent of its boundaries (whatever Esri thinks the boundaries are). Or it cannot find the boundaries and it zooms to a set number. It would be best to search for more precise things like addresses or streets, in my opinion.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Well I see what you mean and because in this story map folks are more likely to type in rivers, bays and not precise locations do you think it would be better to disable the find feature?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Personally... don't tell anyone but I stay far away from any Esri-finder thing, simply due to trust issues!  

For me, I would disable it. But there are possibly ways to enhance it and make it more usable, but you could also instruct the people using it to search for more specific areas? It's really a personal choice I suppose!

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

I agree and for this application I will disable it. I am planning to demo it next week and I would hate to detract from folks wanting to use by seeing things that obviously reduce its usability and don't seem to work correctly. Thanks for taking the time to view and troubleshoot!!!

0 Kudos