Select to view content in your preferred language

Story Map app question

Jump to solution
03-23-2016 05:58 AM
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm wondering if it's possible to take a map application I've made, which is currently housed in the story map journal application format, and move it to another app template such as the map series? I'd like to not to have to re-create the entire map in the new format I'm wanting. But, if that's the only way to do it that's what I'll do.

In addition with the map series, is it possible to have the series display various points along the same map? This is similar to the map tour app. However, I'm trying to embed a time slide map into it and according to ESRI documentation the map tour app isn't very good to embed with other maps such as the time aware templates.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Hi,

We don't have plan to allow to convert a story from one app model to another yet. But we hope to allow that one day and also think there is a big use case to convert back and forth between Journal and Series. As of today you will have to recreate it manually or if you are a developer you could modify say the Map Series application to understand the data model of Map Journal. We don't have much documentation about that but we are thinking about writing some so let me know if you are interested. What we were thinking was to write a blog post explaining how to feed a Journal/Series programatically so we can extend that a little and talk about how you can read say a Journal so you can convert it.

Yes to your second question, you can create a Map Series where each entry showcase a different location through this option in the settings:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Hi,

We don't have plan to allow to convert a story from one app model to another yet. But we hope to allow that one day and also think there is a big use case to convert back and forth between Journal and Series. As of today you will have to recreate it manually or if you are a developer you could modify say the Map Series application to understand the data model of Map Journal. We don't have much documentation about that but we are thinking about writing some so let me know if you are interested. What we were thinking was to write a blog post explaining how to feed a Journal/Series programatically so we can extend that a little and talk about how you can read say a Journal so you can convert it.

Yes to your second question, you can create a Map Series where each entry showcase a different location through this option in the settings:

0 Kudos
DavidJacobs2
New Contributor II

@

Gregory L'Azou

Thank you this helps! I'm not a developer and thus delving into having one map reference what's in the other. I can just take the text I've inserted from the story map as a journal and then configure it into a series. It may be better off this way as the "story" will flow a little different.

Regarding your second question I'll play with that a little more when I get the series built but this helps a lot too.

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,

Dave

0 Kudos