Select to view content in your preferred language

No audio in Cascade story map intro video

Jump to solution
01-17-2018 07:30 AM
KarenFenton
New Contributor II

I am using an intro video on my Cascade Story Map. The video is on YouTube and contains audio. The video has no audio when viewed in the Story Map.

Here's the story map https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=cec2dc0c7dcc4e1698fe3cb735e49915 

and here is the video storymap intro - YouTube  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Karen -- Thanks for posting your question about Cascade. This is the expected behavior -- sound is not supported for videos used as cover background media.

The web community overwhelmingly dislikes web content that autoplays with audio, which can surprise or embarrass readers since they are not expecting it. We suggest that the cover video be used as a visual attention-getter rather than a piece of content where audio is required to understand or gain full appreciation.

If audio is critical to a video, I would suggest using an image (or different video) on the cover and then include the video with audio elsewhere in the story where audio is supported. In your case, I think your scenic video looks great and sets the stage for your story even without sound.

Please let me know if you have additional comments or questions about this.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Karen -- Thanks for posting your question about Cascade. This is the expected behavior -- sound is not supported for videos used as cover background media.

The web community overwhelmingly dislikes web content that autoplays with audio, which can surprise or embarrass readers since they are not expecting it. We suggest that the cover video be used as a visual attention-getter rather than a piece of content where audio is required to understand or gain full appreciation.

If audio is critical to a video, I would suggest using an image (or different video) on the cover and then include the video with audio elsewhere in the story where audio is supported. In your case, I think your scenic video looks great and sets the stage for your story even without sound.

Please let me know if you have additional comments or questions about this.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
KarenFenton
New Contributor II

Thank you. That was all I needed to know.

0 Kudos
KarenFenton
New Contributor II

Thank you for the speedy reply!