Map Tour HMTL Disappearing

Jump to solution
03-11-2015 10:59 AM
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

I am attempting to embed audio in a Map Tour caption following the instructions here:

Adding audio to your story map map tours | ArcGIS Blog

It appears to work fine when I cut-and-paste the code block from the example into one of my map's captions. The audio control appears, and I can play the horse sound just fine. I then save the changes.

When I go to re-open the map, however, all the html code has disappeared from the description.  Other text I had in the caption remains, but the whole <audio> section is gone.

Is this a bug? Is there a different way to include an audio file with player in the caption for a Map Tour point?

Thanks!

-peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Peter,

Sorry about the issue. This is a regression introduced in the latest March release of ArcGIS Online.

For security reason, we have defined a list of tags that are allowed and we missed the audio tag. I will report the issue. In the meantime it won't be possible to include audio in Map Tour through the audio tag, but if you can embed a player like soundcloud through an Iframe that would works.

embed.png

Note that the audio tag is still possible in Map Journal or Map Series.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

I should mention that I'm seeing this problem in both Chrome 41.0.2272.89m on a Windows 7 machine and Safari 8.0.3 on a Mac OS 10.10.2.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Hi Peter,

Sorry about the issue. This is a regression introduced in the latest March release of ArcGIS Online.

For security reason, we have defined a list of tags that are allowed and we missed the audio tag. I will report the issue. In the meantime it won't be possible to include audio in Map Tour through the audio tag, but if you can embed a player like soundcloud through an Iframe that would works.

embed.png

Note that the audio tag is still possible in Map Journal or Map Series.

peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Gregory.  Any estimate on when the regression will be addressed and the audio tag again permitted?

-peter

0 Kudos
ElaineTaylor
New Contributor

We too are experiencing the disappearing html.  We had posted an audio driving tour last June that we noticed was acting quirky last week.  When I logged on today to trouble shoot, the html disappeared on save.  Our story map tour is linked to several other websites and referenced in some pending grant applications.  Therefore it is also important for us to have an estimate on when this bug may be fixed.  Thank you.

Louisa County Historical Society

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Sorry you are also facing the issue.  I will keep you updated as soon as I have an answer from the core team.

In the meantime if you have saved your Webmap (through Map Viewer or Map Tour Builder) those tags have been removed So you will have to add them back using an Iframe tag like soundcloud for example.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Hi,

The issue should be fixed in the next two weeks. I will keep you posted once the fixed is deployed.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

The fix has been deployed to ArcGIS Online, you should be able to add audio tags like before. Thanks for your patience.

peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

It is working again for us. Thanks Gregory L'Azou​!

0 Kudos
LeslieZolman1
New Contributor III

I am trying to use the code in adding audio to your story map map tours blog but the code seems to be cut off when I add it to the caption and when I go back in to edit it the code has been changed.  I also get an error that the map can not be saved due to invalid html tag in a name or description.

Here is what I am trying to use

<audio controls>

<source src="http://visitmt.com/binaries/content/assets/mtot/audio/butte-audio-tour/butte-audio-tour_-1-milwaukee..."

type="audio/mpeg"> <embed height="50" width="100"

src="http://visitmt.com/binaries/content/assets/mtot/audio/butte-audio-tour/butte-audio-tour_-1-milwaukee...">

</audio>

This is what the code looks like in the caption window

<audio style="" controls="">

<source src="http://visitmt.com/binaries/content/assets/mtot/audio/butte-audio-tour/butte-audio-tour_-1-milwaukee..." type="audio/mpeg"> </audio>

Any help would be wonderful

0 Kudos