Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Series URL to get to a location

Jump to solution
04-29-2020 07:50 AM
JohnSasso
New Contributor II

With a Story Map Series, I understand how to get to a specific entry,e.g.

http://mywebsite.portal.esri.com/DataPortal/index.html?entry=4 

However, what I am trying to do is craft a URL to that in that entry, I get directed to that location.  I tried using the find parameter but that does not work, eg, to get to GPS coords (43.2479-75.4289)

http://mywebsite.portal.esri.com/DataPortal/index.html?entry=4&find=-75.4289,43.2479

Can someone help me figure this out?  Thanks!

--john

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello John -- That's not a capability of the classic Series template. You can independently configure the initial extent of each entry's map in the builder, but if you are looking to have the map show different locations dynamically via a URL parameter you'll need to use a different configurable app template that supports that like the Basic Viewer or a Web AppBuilder app.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello John -- That's not a capability of the classic Series template. You can independently configure the initial extent of each entry's map in the builder, but if you are looking to have the map show different locations dynamically via a URL parameter you'll need to use a different configurable app template that supports that like the Basic Viewer or a Web AppBuilder app.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JohnSasso
New Contributor II

Thank you for the response, Owen!  I know last year, Esri came out with their new line of Story Maps to replace Classic Story Maps.  Thus, if a web-based GIS site is created with the new line of Story Maps, would we be able to pass a URL to specify the location?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use URL parameters when embedding the app into the story to override the initial extent, but there is no way to pass in a parameter via the story URL that will affect the extent of an embedded app inside the story.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos