layers not showing up in my story map web page

02-22-2016 08:32 AM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

So I just recently discovered that a "My Story" web page gets created when you create story maps. My story maps has services that are using our dmz web server url. When I go to my story web page and click on "check stories" button it says that those particular layer are inaccessible. Do my layers need to be hosted feature services on AGO for them to be accessible from "My Story" web page.  and of course the standard info. we running 10.3.1 and all that

4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Much of the time a story map pulls from an existing web map. If that web map has layers in it, they should be reflected in the story map. Is that not happening on your end? Is there a way to post a link to your story map?

0 Kudos
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

Adrian

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the story maps pull from a web map. The service that shows that it is inaccessible is the map service in the web map that my story map references. But the url to that particular service is //web server name/arcgis/rest/services/folder name/service name/MapServer 

The layer shows up fine when viewing it regular. I guess I am just wondering why it is inaccessible when I go to "My Story" web page. This is the mesaage it gives me. "

We found some issues

Inaccessible map content

Tip: Open your web map and remove the broken content, or remove the web map from your story.

I don't want to remove it. I get this message for all the services that reference our dmz web server

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

There are a few things that I have seen that messed with my map services.

1) making sure all permissions were set the same (mostly meaning making sure they are all public).

2) making sure my actual path of my data is set the way you mentioned (web server/arcgis/rest/etc.) and not to a local server host. Sometimes my data got published funky and I could view my web maps fine since I was on the same network but no one else could (like a story map).

3) Make sure you can view this web map on another computer with possibly an outside connection (like, not on your local server).

0 Kudos
Natalie_Runyan
New Contributor III

This happens to us on all of our story maps now. The story map is built and hosted in ArcGIS Online, and the data layers in the maps are hosted on our Enterprise GIS Server (10.6).

The map content is all visible to public users of the story maps, so we don't believe anything is actually broken, but of course we wonder because the layer in the application editor is marked "INACCESSIBLE"

"Inaccessible map content" error in ArcGIS Online Story Map editor

layer is visible in public story map, even though still throwing "inaccessible"

0 Kudos