Is there a list of guidelines for optimizing imagery for inclusion in story maps?

Jump to solution
02-23-2018 08:17 AM
deleted-user-MGw5rx1fXULW
New Contributor III

I would like to include site plans, renderings, older (non-Esri) maps and aerial imagery, and photographs, but I cannot seem to locate anything which serves as a guide to specs for the various templates. Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

In the Story Maps FAQs, see the entries about recommended images sizes listed under each app title:

Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps 

Rupert

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Christina,

This is a really big question and I don't think there is one good answer. A general rule of thumb for anything on the web is: the smaller the file size, the better.

Do you have access to ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Enterprise? Serving large files like air photos are likely best served out so that you don't consume all your ArcGIS Online credits. 

For specific guides on each thing you mentioned, there are a few articles out there for guidance, like:

Web imagery layer—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Adding and using photos and images in your portal | ArcGIS Blog 

Display imagery—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

But, it's good to start small, do some tests, make sure you're seeing what you want to see (especially when it comes to lining up things spatially, etc.) and then move on to a final product.

Here is a kinda-messy map I made that has a site plan from a PDF that I had to georeference in (along with image photos via points and then some CAD-linework):

https://www.meiamerica.com/GIS/Maps/15094/

deleted-user-MGw5rx1fXULW
New Contributor III

Thanks for your map, Adrian. It reminds me of some of my non-Esri work, though mine typically involves shopping mall site plans.

Thanks also for those links. I read through the content, but I think I need to try to work through the various items as projects present themselves.

I am using ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro, and Business Analyst Online. All of my data is currently stored in-house on a network server. I have only been using the products for less than a year so I can easily modify my workflow to accommodate virtually any suggested changes. 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

In the Story Maps FAQs, see the entries about recommended images sizes listed under each app title:

Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps 

Rupert

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

There are a lot of great FAQs in that list! A little overwhelming but hard to narrow anything down.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

The recommendation is to upload your images into the Story Map from disk if you can. This optimizes the images appropriately for you. (Just to confirm, I'm talking about images that you want to appear in your Story Map as images, not how to add images as layer-based overlay content to maps.

Rupert