How to add a legend in table of content using Map Series Template? - No code require -

Jump to solution
01-16-2018 07:57 AM
AnaHiraldo-Gomez
New Contributor III

Hi,

Probably asking for the impossible, but is there a way to add a dynamic legend or layer selection under the table of content in Map Series Template?  

Map Series Temaplate Side Accordion Sample

I don't want it to be an image.  I would like for it to dynamic so users can select which layers they want to see.  I know other templates have this option but want to see if it is possible without too much coding.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Story Map Series does support displaying the legend in the description panel instead of as a dropdown control but only if you use the Tabbed or Bulleted layout options. Moving the legend into the narrative panel is not supported in the Side Accordion option you are using.

Story Map Series doesn't support providing a dynamic list for selecting layers in the description panel. Authors who want to provide a checkable layer list sometimes do that by creating a separate app for their map that does have a checkable layer ''table of contents" using one of the other ArcGIS Online configurable apps or the Web App Builder, and then embedding that app into their Story Map Series. However, we'd recommend not attempting to provide checkable layer lists in your Story Maps. Turning layers on and off via lists isn't all that intuitive for the general reader. Instead we'd suggest authoring the maps that you think your readers will want to see and using different tabs or entries in your Map Series to present them, so that your readers don't need to modify the maps themselves.

Hope that helps

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Story Map Series does support displaying the legend in the description panel instead of as a dropdown control but only if you use the Tabbed or Bulleted layout options. Moving the legend into the narrative panel is not supported in the Side Accordion option you are using.

Story Map Series doesn't support providing a dynamic list for selecting layers in the description panel. Authors who want to provide a checkable layer list sometimes do that by creating a separate app for their map that does have a checkable layer ''table of contents" using one of the other ArcGIS Online configurable apps or the Web App Builder, and then embedding that app into their Story Map Series. However, we'd recommend not attempting to provide checkable layer lists in your Story Maps. Turning layers on and off via lists isn't all that intuitive for the general reader. Instead we'd suggest authoring the maps that you think your readers will want to see and using different tabs or entries in your Map Series to present them, so that your readers don't need to modify the maps themselves.

Hope that helps

Rupert

0 Kudos
AnaHiraldo-Gomez
New Contributor III

Thanks - good suggestions.  I thought about that, but I think it impacts performance. 

0 Kudos
AllisonKampbell
New Contributor III

Thank you for posting this.  However, when I just have one tab and I set up the legend it does not show up when I view my story. 

Here is my legend in builder mode:

And here is my legend in view mode:

Is there a setting I am missing? 

Thank you!

Allison

0 Kudos