Hi folks. I need some guidance in getting Videos to play in the Map Tour

Jump to solution
12-07-2017 03:06 PM
ArizonaGame_and_Fish_Departmen
New Contributor

Hi folks. I need some guidance in getting Videos to play in the Map Tour storymap. First, my Map Tour story map was created from a google sheet (for context see: https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2015/08/12/create-a-map-tour-from-a-google-sheet/).  Everything works as described in the mentioned blog, except the video capability is working for me. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Richard,

I can also reproduce the same issue you found. I downloaded the Locations CSV data template from the Story Map Tour > Advanced Options dialog and uploaded it into a Google Docs spreadsheet which I shared publicly for viewing:
MT Video test - Google Sheets 

One of the places defined in that file uses a Youtube video instead of an image for its main media. The other places all use images. I then published it as a CSV from Google Docs and added that to a web map using Add > Add Layer From Web using the URL that Google Docs gives you. When I then share and publish that web map as a Story Map Tour, the Map Tour shows the pictures correctly but doesn't show the video.

I'm not sure what causes that issue. The workaround is to upload the CSV as a file into the web map instead of adding it as a web layer, or, more directly, to upload the CSV file directly into the Story Map Tour builder. 

The thing you saw where the Map Tour can't be edited after being created from a web map contain a web layer is the expected behaviour: in that workflow it expects the spreadsheet to be edited in Google Docs. But if you upload the CSV file into the web map, or directly into the Map Tour, it will let you make edits to the content.

Do you need to use a spreadsheet to create your Map Tour? The easiest way to make a Map Tour is to author all the places directly into the Story Map Tour Builder. The spreadsheet workflow is useful if you have existing tables of info that you want to turn into a Map Tour, or if you want to assemble everything ahead of time in one file so it can be reviewed by other people, etc, but it isn't required for creating Map Tours.

Hope that helps.

Rupert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi there, 

Where are your videos hosted?

What happens if you try and add a video manually?:

What browser are you using?

Carmel

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thanks for the response!

Videos are hosted on AZGFD's Youtube Channel. I add the link to the CSV, the data propogates appropriately, and when I open the webmap upon which the Map Tour is based in AGOL, I can click on a point, then on the "More Info" link in the callout, which opens and plays the video in You Tube.  BUT, when I open the Map Tour and navigate to that "page" in the tour, the main image box appears blank. I don't seem to be able to find any Change media or Change thumbnail links on my builder page that allows me to change the media. On the bottom of the configuration page that opens in both builder and in AGOL when I pick "configure this app" I have a box that says:  Editing data is disabled on this CSV data source.  But I can still edit it in the basemap AND in the csv in google sheets. 

Thanks for the suggestion...if I had that option, I would like to try to see if I could make that work

Richard

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Richard,

I can also reproduce the same issue you found. I downloaded the Locations CSV data template from the Story Map Tour > Advanced Options dialog and uploaded it into a Google Docs spreadsheet which I shared publicly for viewing:
MT Video test - Google Sheets 

One of the places defined in that file uses a Youtube video instead of an image for its main media. The other places all use images. I then published it as a CSV from Google Docs and added that to a web map using Add > Add Layer From Web using the URL that Google Docs gives you. When I then share and publish that web map as a Story Map Tour, the Map Tour shows the pictures correctly but doesn't show the video.

I'm not sure what causes that issue. The workaround is to upload the CSV as a file into the web map instead of adding it as a web layer, or, more directly, to upload the CSV file directly into the Story Map Tour builder. 

The thing you saw where the Map Tour can't be edited after being created from a web map contain a web layer is the expected behaviour: in that workflow it expects the spreadsheet to be edited in Google Docs. But if you upload the CSV file into the web map, or directly into the Map Tour, it will let you make edits to the content.

Do you need to use a spreadsheet to create your Map Tour? The easiest way to make a Map Tour is to author all the places directly into the Story Map Tour Builder. The spreadsheet workflow is useful if you have existing tables of info that you want to turn into a Map Tour, or if you want to assemble everything ahead of time in one file so it can be reviewed by other people, etc, but it isn't required for creating Map Tours.

Hope that helps.

Rupert

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Rupert -

Thank you for your response and the insights it provides...much appreciated.  I have a couple of requirements for this story map that make it highly desirable to use the spreadsheet shared in Google Sheets...first and foremost, monthly updates (1-5 times monthly) provided by non-technical staff. If the content requires updating by nontechnical staff and a spreadsheet containing the content information is shared to those nontechnical staff, it provides a readily accessible and intuitive workflow that is relatively easy to maintain.  At the current time, it might be difficult to get alternative workflows to "stick." [For example, training those nontechnical staff on how to use AGOL and Story Maps.]  That alternative is a steeper course of action. So now you understand the WHY.  But I will consider and give additional thought to the alternative workflows you suggest as they are also workable...just have to connect the dots.

Thanks again, Rupert!

Richard

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the note Richard. If you were OK with omitting videos it should work OK from a Google Sheet. Alternatively, you could add the step of uploading the CSV file into the web map used by the Map Tour whenever the sheet is updated, replacing the existing CSV based layer. 

Rupert

0 Kudos