Select to view content in your preferred language

Help to determine which Story Map to use

04-18-2019 07:11 PM
BobbieSweeting
New Contributor

What I was looking for is to build my story map, by uploading a spreadsheet, which I learned. Then I wanted to be able to click on a individual location and be allowed to upload a photo direct, without having to create additional files or folders. I also wanted have individuals contribute photos to locations. I also have a personal website that already holds photos, with a url, just I am not completely sure how that works. I simply want to make the map, create a story map, allow contributors, edit inside a popup box, like adding the photo. Which story map, is the tool I need and not complicated. I already tried 2, not sure which ones, because with frustration, deleted them, and they were not easy for me to work with. Advice please

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IreneEgbulefu1
New Contributor III

Have you tried the ShortList storymap template. That should solve your problem because it provides you the opportunity to customize your story map with pictures and a webmap. But you would need to arrange your data to mactch the excel template. you can follow the steps below. I got it from Esri support though i am still working on my own story map because i need it to populate data dynamically from my SDE database

• Navigate to the WebMap and share as a StoryMap Template
  • Download Template:
  • Unzip the downloaded file.
    • Once unzipped, you'll see a folder that contains all the necessary files. See the Readme file for instructions on deploying and configuring your application.
  • Deploy the Web application to your Web server.
    • Copy the application files to your Web server.
  • Configure the Web application.
    • You can make simple changes to the Web application, like providing a different title, without having any programming experience. Minimally, you'll need to reference the map ID to display your map in the Web application. Follow the instructions in the Readme file to do this.
  • You will also need to choose the second option of 'Yes, use them as-is' to reference the SQL database you edit. 
  • Managing the shortlist will be a little different but it should create a dynamic relationship between your data and the StoryMap can will automatically reference any edits. 
0 Kudos