Functional field names for Shortlist beta?

Jump to solution
07-27-2017 05:02 PM
MarissaAltmann
New Contributor II

Are there recommended field names for the current version of Shortlist? I'd like to import from a .csv -> webmap -> Shortlist app and then customize as I have done in the past, but am not sure of recognized field names in the beta. It seems like they may have been reduced to simply Name, Website, Pic_URL, Thumb_URL, and a single description field. Is this true? If so, what is the character count for the Description field? 

I tried a test import and my lat and long fields were not retained when making the app. The tutorial says "The Shortlist Builder will open and prompt you to select the point data you want to use." but this was not my experience?

Any advice?

Thank you very much,

Marissa

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Marissa,

There are two options for using the Shortlist app and existing point data in a web map (Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps ).  The import option will allow you to import points from a single layer into a newly created web map, and will combine any number of fields to make up the final description field in the new web map.  There is a wizard that will allow you to do so if you launch the Shortlist builder from your existing web map (in the web map viewer, hit the 'share' button, then 'create web app', then select the 'Story Map Shortlist' app).  After importing, you will then be able to go in and edit those imported points, and add/delete additional points.

The second option is what we call 'as-is'.  This option will point the Shortlist app to your web map and will expect certain field names ('NAME'*, 'TAB_NAME'*, 'SHORT_DESC', 'DESC1', 'DESC2', 'DESC3', 'DESC4', 'DESC5', 'WEBSITE', 'PIC_URL'*, 'THUMB_URL').  The field names with * are the required bare minimum, the rest are available to use as needed.  This option does not allow edits to the data, instead, data edits should be made in your client of choice.  This option is a bit more of a "GIS Professional" model in that the data in the background may be dynamic and can be managed by something like a Feature Service.

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkCooney

Hi Marissa,

There are two options for using the Shortlist app and existing point data in a web map (Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps ).  The import option will allow you to import points from a single layer into a newly created web map, and will combine any number of fields to make up the final description field in the new web map.  There is a wizard that will allow you to do so if you launch the Shortlist builder from your existing web map (in the web map viewer, hit the 'share' button, then 'create web app', then select the 'Story Map Shortlist' app).  After importing, you will then be able to go in and edit those imported points, and add/delete additional points.

The second option is what we call 'as-is'.  This option will point the Shortlist app to your web map and will expect certain field names ('NAME'*, 'TAB_NAME'*, 'SHORT_DESC', 'DESC1', 'DESC2', 'DESC3', 'DESC4', 'DESC5', 'WEBSITE', 'PIC_URL'*, 'THUMB_URL').  The field names with * are the required bare minimum, the rest are available to use as needed.  This option does not allow edits to the data, instead, data edits should be made in your client of choice.  This option is a bit more of a "GIS Professional" model in that the data in the background may be dynamic and can be managed by something like a Feature Service.

Mark

0 Kudos
MarissaAltmann
New Contributor II

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the prompt reply! A few more follow-ups:

Will the old "Address" and "Hours" fields still be recognized/is the details panel still an option in the new hosted Shortlist App, or has it been disabled with the new update? I liked the old details panel but it seems like it may be irrelevant with the new Shortlist layout.

Last night I tried to transfer directly from a web map to the Shortlist via share, create web app, and selecting the Shortlist but my points didn't import. I've been making StoryMaps for 3+ years now so I wasn't sure if perhaps I did something wrong... but I have not been able to get the wizard to launch at all.

I'll go ahead and try with a different webmap and see if maybe it has something to do with my dataset...

Marissa

0 Kudos
MarissaAltmann
New Contributor II

Well, I've solved part of my problem--it worked with a different web map/dataset but not the one relating to my current project. Possibly because I have some missing attribute data? I'll keep trying...

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

Marissa,

If you use the import points options, the builder will import those fields and make them part of the description field.  If you want to use the 'as-is' option, you would need to change the names of the those fields to one of the description field names ('DESC_1', 'DESC_2', etc.). 

Do you have a url that you can share for the web map you are trying to use?  I can have a look if you'd like.  Feel free to DM me if you do not want to post here.

Mark

0 Kudos