enable geocoder / search in Story Map Tour

Jump to solution
07-24-2017 08:56 AM
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

How to add enable geocoder / search in Story Map Tour?

I have an ArcGIS Online Assistant. What is the code? Would these work set up in JSON editing? Any suggestions? Please advise. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkCooney

The ArcGIS JavaScript API is already available in the Map Tour app as we utilize it in creating the app, so it will be available for adding customizations, including the search widget.  You can host your own version of your app on any web server and all should work as expected.  Please refer to the documentation on our GitHub repo (GitHub - Esri/storymap-tour: The Story Map Tour is ideal when you want to present a linear, place-ba... ) for additional information on customizing and hosting your own Map Tour.  

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MarkCooney

Hi Alexis,

This is not currently an option with the hosted version of the Map Tour app.  If you are able to host the app yourself on a server, the Map Tour source code can be downloaded from here: GitHub - Esri/storymap-tour: The Story Map Tour is ideal when you want to present a linear, place-ba... You would need to then modify the code to add the search functionality.  I also have a sample version I could send you if you would prefer, feel free to DM me for more info.

Mark

0 Kudos
deleted-user-pSEFA8qSxLCv
New Contributor III

I just happen to be searching for a solution on this very same day. Posting as a reply in case anyone else is also interested in this.

We have a custom Map Tour already. Are there any resources on how to add this search functionality to it? Ideally this would be a search on the project name, which is a separate field in the data. Is it as "simple" as embedding a story map within another story map?

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

Hi Jonathan,

The best way to add this functionality would be to add some custom code with Esri's JavaScript API and the search widget.  Here is a link to an example they have on the site that should prove helpful: Search multiple sources | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.21.  And their full documentation on the search widget: Search | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.21 

Mark

New Contributor III

Played around with it in the sandbox. That's a homerun! Will work on implementing it soon. Thanks Mark

0 Kudos
JosephCartier
New Contributor

Hi Johnathan,

How do you able to incorporate a search portion of the code?  I have added the widget to my story map, and the search bar auto-fills my destination but the map does not zoom to my location of choice. 

Any suggested? thanks!

Joe

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Hey Joe - the Story Maps Team has been really helpful and may be able to guide you through that. Try emailing MCooney-esristaff (mcooney@esri.com)

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

I tried to DM you and it seems not working. 

I am a newbie codes/developer for this case.  I do know that I have published ArcMap MapService to ArcGIS Server to ArcGIS Online to Web Server (custom web). I am a bit confused. I don't know where or how to access to Web server (I have to talk my IT co-worker). Is there other way? like where or how to  access to ArcGIS API JavaScript? Is it thru ArcGIS Server Manager? If it is hosted web server, is it possible to have both ArcGIS Online and to host the app myself on a server same website like GIS Portal? Is that make sense?  What do you recommend? 

0 Kudos
MarkCooney

The ArcGIS JavaScript API is already available in the Map Tour app as we utilize it in creating the app, so it will be available for adding customizations, including the search widget.  You can host your own version of your app on any web server and all should work as expected.  Please refer to the documentation on our GitHub repo (GitHub - Esri/storymap-tour: The Story Map Tour is ideal when you want to present a linear, place-ba... ) for additional information on customizing and hosting your own Map Tour.  

Mark

0 Kudos