Crowdsource disable Locate Me and Find on Map

Jump to solution
07-17-2017 07:02 PM
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am using the standard template for the Crowdsource (beta) story map. Would like to see enhancement to enable 'Locate Me' and 'Find on Map' to be disabled as an option to protect the privacy of submissions (ie. address location). Ideally a check box in configuration or within JSON to set True/False to disable these functions.

I have been advised downloading the underlying code and customising and hosting myself would enable this ability, but I don't currently have a server to host content, so relying on ArcGIS Online standard templates.

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for your feedback. We have heard similar feedback from other users that they would like to protect user privacy. Instead of removing the "locate" and "find on map" buttons we are considering an option to generalize locations to the closest admin boundary centroid. For example if a user chooses a home address, that point would automatically get moved to the city centroid. Would this be a viable solution for your privacy needs?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for your feedback. We have heard similar feedback from other users that they would like to protect user privacy. Instead of removing the "locate" and "find on map" buttons we are considering an option to generalize locations to the closest admin boundary centroid. For example if a user chooses a home address, that point would automatically get moved to the city centroid. Would this be a viable solution for your privacy needs?

0 Kudos
CPoynter

Moving home address to either suburb or city centroid would be perfect. How would this work in more remote areas though where a rural home address (farm)may be a large distance from a city location?

0 Kudos
CPoynter

Hi Stephen,

Not related to my original post (unsure where to post), but could the Story Map team consider adding some form of calendar to the Crowdsource beta to allow for when submissions will be suspended instead of requiring submissions to be manually turned off?

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Sure, we'll consider that feature for a future version.

0 Kudos