Select to view content in your preferred language

Cascade story map gone from App Builder

Jump to solution
08-01-2016 09:18 AM
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

I have been happily creating a Cascade story map last week and all afternoon today. I just closed the App Builder to work on the map itself, came back to the App Builder via My Content > Item Details > Configure App  and after the loading cursor of yellow circles goes away, I have a totally blank window. Nothing to edit - no media, immersive sections, text, nothing. I have tried clicking Edit while viewing the App - same result.

I can view the Story Map - why can't I edit it? Where do I even start with troubleshooting this? I have closed and reopened my browser (Chrome). I was able to close it over the weekend and begin again today with no problem.

I am hoping that because I can still view it, my 2 days of work is not gone altogether...  Help?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Katy,

Thanks for sending the link. Sorry, you've found a bug that we will fix in the next release. It has to do with the fact that you have immersive panel with an image as the first piece of content (no text).

The good news is you should be able to recover your story. It's not difficult, but just be careful as the solution involves editing the JSON of your story, which you can do using the ArcGIS Online Assistant tool. Here's how to do it:

1. Launch the ArcGIS Online Assistant and log in with your ArcGIS account
  2. Find your story map in the item listing on the left side
  3. At the top choose I want to > View an item's JSON
  4. Scroll down a bit on the right side and in the Data section, click the pencil to activate edit mode.
  5. Use the browser's search to find "project work" -- this is some caption text in your story in the panel where the problem is occurring.
  6. Insert the text shown in the second screenshot as shown below.
  7. Scroll back up to the beginning of the Data section and save your changes
  8. Try to load your story in builder mode.

2016-08-01 at 10.34.48 PM.JPG

The result should look like this -- notice the comma after the last bracket. You can replace "Some text" with whatever you want. Once you fix your story you should be able to edit everything back in the builder; just avoid creating immersive panels that don't start with text for now. This issue will be fixed in the September release.

2016-08-01 at 10.46.16 PM.JPG

Sorry for the bizarre fix, but it should let you recover your story. Let me know if you have any questions.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Katy,

Sorry you are having that issue with your Cascade story. Can you share the story and maps publicly and post the link here or send it to me in a private message so I can take a look?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1

Sure, thank you Owen. It's at [link redacted while work in progress]

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Katy,

Thanks for sending the link. Sorry, you've found a bug that we will fix in the next release. It has to do with the fact that you have immersive panel with an image as the first piece of content (no text).

The good news is you should be able to recover your story. It's not difficult, but just be careful as the solution involves editing the JSON of your story, which you can do using the ArcGIS Online Assistant tool. Here's how to do it:

1. Launch the ArcGIS Online Assistant and log in with your ArcGIS account
  2. Find your story map in the item listing on the left side
  3. At the top choose I want to > View an item's JSON
  4. Scroll down a bit on the right side and in the Data section, click the pencil to activate edit mode.
  5. Use the browser's search to find "project work" -- this is some caption text in your story in the panel where the problem is occurring.
  6. Insert the text shown in the second screenshot as shown below.
  7. Scroll back up to the beginning of the Data section and save your changes
  8. Try to load your story in builder mode.

2016-08-01 at 10.34.48 PM.JPG

The result should look like this -- notice the comma after the last bracket. You can replace "Some text" with whatever you want. Once you fix your story you should be able to edit everything back in the builder; just avoid creating immersive panels that don't start with text for now. This issue will be fixed in the September release.

2016-08-01 at 10.46.16 PM.JPG

Sorry for the bizarre fix, but it should let you recover your story. Let me know if you have any questions.

Owen

Owen Evans
KatyAppleton1

Fantastic - that is fixed, thank you so much for tracking the issue down and providing a very clear fix for me. I can now edit my story again, and will avoid adding images with no text for now.

For info, I removed the text because I originally had another, taller, second image, and it was forcing a scrollbar to appear on the panel, which I did not want. If this happens again I will edit my image and re-upload.

Thanks again, Owen!

Katy

0 Kudos
ShannonGraup
New Contributor

Hi Owen,

I am having the same problem with my story map. I can view it, but when i go to edit the story it is a blank screen. I definitely have at least one immersive section with an image but no text. 

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided!

Shannon

0 Kudos