Adding story map links to point locations on map

Jump to solution
05-21-2018 09:51 AM
TuolumneRiver
New Contributor II

I am trying to figure out how to add an arcgis map on my storymap showcasing various locations.  I want the audience to be able to click on the location and that will take them to another storymap with information about projects done at that selected location.  Here is an example story map of what I want to achieve: https://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2018/anacostia/index.html .  How would I do this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello -- The interactive element in the Anacostia story is a custom web page that is embedded inside the story map. It's not currently possible to create something like that using just the Cascade Builder, but you can create your own web elements, host them on server or cloud infrastructure you manage, and embed them in your story by pasting in the URL to your custom page on the Link to Content tab when adding media.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BabettHübsch
New Contributor
Hello,   looking for the same - to make it easier to understand what we mean:

Greetings!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello -- The interactive element in the Anacostia story is a custom web page that is embedded inside the story map. It's not currently possible to create something like that using just the Cascade Builder, but you can create your own web elements, host them on server or cloud infrastructure you manage, and embed them in your story by pasting in the URL to your custom page on the Link to Content tab when adding media.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

You could also create a web map containing a layer of features where you include a URL to your story maps, which you'd expose in the popups for the features. Your users could then click on a feature, and in the popup they can click the link to open the story map. In this example web map I configured the popups in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer so that people can click the image in the popup to open the URL. You could then include that web map in a story map. For example, for a simple display of a web map you could use Story Map Basic. This example Basic story map displays a web map with popups configured to include clickable links. 

Rupert