Week 2 of Civic Analytics with Hub notebook series

07-20-2020 01:23 PM
ManushiMajumdar
Esri Contributor

This week we look at two spatial analysis techniques in ArcGIS. We use data from Connecticut to investigate Which housing districts need more Covid-19 testing sites?. In this analysis, we fetch housing districts of the state and add variables that provide us with total population and population density (as of 2019) for each housing district. Having pulled in data for the existing Covid 19 testing site locations, we then compute areas that are drivable within 15 minutes to these clinics, to identify housing districts that are under-served by quick access to testing locations relative to their population.

This analysis could be used to answer several other questions, for instance, 'Are certain school districts under-served by quick access to public libraries?' or 'Which neighborhoods need more parks relative to the number of children in the neighborhood?'

In the second notebook, we will work with census tracts of Atlanta to answer the question Which are the census tracts with unusually high unemployment rates?. For the population age 16+, we use the percentage of unemployed people in each census tract to identify statistically significant outliers to identify census tracts with unusually high unemployment rates compared to the neighboring census tracts.

This technique can help address questions such as 'Do we observe areas of unexpectedly low mortality rate or unexpected disease outbreak?' or 'Where can we notice distinct difference in high or low crime zones relative to the neighboring areas?', to name a few.

I encourage you to download these notebooks and use them to find data-driven answers to your questions about your region. I can't wait to connect with you on your findings or questions. Feel free to comment below with questions, or analyses with civic data that you would like for us to explore and demonstrate.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FATEYEB
New Contributor

FETCHING DATA FROM OPEN Data

" Click here to learn more about how you can use ArcGIS Hub for finding data ..."

This links to a site that does not accept subscriptions. 

What I am trying to do: fetch data from the Michigan Hub (https://gis-michigan.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/e1760c38b1ba425f85aa3d9251fabcf4_6/data ) and load feature layer like the examples shown in this course. However returning an error code: 

Exception: Failed to execute query. (Error Code: 400)
0 Kudos
ManushiMajumdar
Esri Contributor

Thanks for reaching out with your question. I used that same notebook script with your dataset and it did not give me the error. What API endpoint (`data_url`) are you using in your script?

0 Kudos
FATEYEB
New Contributor

Manushi-

Thank you for getting back to me. I think I figured it out. I added '/0' at the end of the url like this 'https://services5.arcgis.com/XNu9jD76S3CY6lhX/arcgis/rest/services/Health_Care/FeatureServer/0'

I was able to then run it

0 Kudos