Symbology for Polygon

Jump to solution
09-04-2019 11:48 PM
DharmaRajan
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I want to display(represent) the polygon feature as point, only if area is less than a particular value. How to achieve it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DharmaRajan
Occasional Contributor

By using representation, we did this requirement. Step to achieve this is given below for reference.

1)For the polygon feature, create a representation rule which represents the symbol 'Point'.

2) Select the polygons which are less than the particular value (Select by attribute - ShapeArea field).

3) By using field calculator update the ruleID for the selected features.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You will have to produce a separate layer of the features meeting your condition

Select by Attributes... to get the features less than your threshold size

Feature to point... to produce the centroid of the features for the above

symbolize the last step using point symbology, symbolize their equivalent polygons as a uniform class

Feature To Point—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
DharmaRajan
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan.

Without creating a new featureclass, is there any way to achieve this?

Like similar to 'Graduated Symbols'. In Graduated Symbols, it is showing the points along with polygon by using a single FeatureClass. But in my case, I want to show the points only(without polygon)

Symbolise polygons as points - ArcGIS for Desktop or Collector 

0 Kudos
SushantSingh2
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Is it possible to achieve by using Cartography Representation???

0 Kudos
DharmaRajan
Occasional Contributor

By using representation, we did this requirement. Step to achieve this is given below for reference.

1)For the polygon feature, create a representation rule which represents the symbol 'Point'.

2) Select the polygons which are less than the particular value (Select by attribute - ShapeArea field).

3) By using field calculator update the ruleID for the selected features.

0 Kudos