Question about Styles and How do I open it without using ArcGIS ?

05-26-2017 08:56 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Is there a way around for me to open the styles to check what it is in there ?  I copied the style file from my users folder under the Desktop10.3 folder and had to make backup.

Is there a possible for me to open it ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

.style files are Access data files (.mdb) and .stylx files are SQLite data files (.sqlite).  Although the files can be opened in other programs, and even edited, doing so risks corrupting the style file.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you.. How or where do I find for the SQLite Data files (.sqlite) I am not familiar with it ? 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure what you are asking.  If you are new to SQLite,  About SQLite  or SQLite - Wikipedia are good places to start.  If you are looking for a program to open or edit SQLite files, there are numerous properietary and open-source options available, just search for "SQLite browser" or "SQLite viewer" or something along those lines.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Do they have it in portable rather than install on my computer ?   I will check them thanks though.

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

There are Python modules that work with SQLite files, so you shouldn't have to do install.  See 11.13. sqlite3 — DB-API 2.0 interface for SQLite databases and SQLite Python (tutorial) for ideas

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes I was able to open it and see it but Problem why is there no icon or symbols to see it the "Picture" . It is all in words...

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you just want to dump the style contents, maybe the following will be helpful: Style Dump for ArcGIS 10.x and FAQ: Can the symbolsets in the Style Manager be printed?  

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info !

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If either one of my or rvburton‌'s comments answered your question, please mark this question answered so others know you are not still seeking an answer.