Missing option to apply symbology by Categories

04-18-2019 03:50 PM
Kevin_C
New Contributor III

I have a layer file with several thousand records and a lot of columns. I'm trying to map this by breaking out values from one of the columns into categories. But I don't see an option for Categories in the symbology tab in "Layer Properties". I don't know why this is the case since there are definitely values in multiple columns that could be broken into categories. Here is what the Symbology tab looks like:

Is ArcGIS being weird or am I doing something wrong here? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RalphBradt1
New Contributor II

I have also been having this problem a number of times over the past few months. The only way I have found to get around it is to add the data again and generally categories will again show up as an option.

0 Kudos
JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

"Add All Values"

0 Kudos
RalphBradt1
New Contributor II

As with Kevin's screenshot, "Categories" sometimes isn't an option to create symbology along with "Features", "Quantities", "Charts", and "Multiple Attributes", so "Add All Values" is not a choice. Most recently, I've seen this happen when I've had to reset the data source. I've been able to add the data to the map again and "Categories" was again an option in the symbology properties of the newly added data.