How to make a layout background transparent in ArcGIS Pro?

01-15-2018 12:50 PM
LucasMostyn2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I cannot make my layout have a transparent background? is it possible?

thank you,

lucas

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is an image your background? certain image formats support transparency.

but what be beneath your background in any event?

0 Kudos
LucasMostyn2
New Contributor II

Nothing. I have created a layout, then loaded a map (which has a transparent background). But when i export I get a white background. I want to use the layout though because I have used the reshape tool on the map. Here is a pic

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

interesting.... I could only find reference to things related to web layers

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/services/use-map-image-layers.htm

JosephCarter
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Lucas. Often it can be more efficient to use, say Adobe Illustrator, to archive the desired layer transparency if you really get stumped in ArcMap. You would use then use the 'stamp tool' or some other method to add the layer after exporting your map. . . Good luck.

ReedHunter
New Contributor III

Lucas, 

I encountered your question while researching a similar problem.  I was able to use the following solution after upgrading to ArcGIS Pro version 2.12.

In ArcGIS Pro's contents panel where the map and layers are listed ...

1. right click the map's name and select "Properties"
  2. In the Map Properties dialog, select the "General" section on the left, => "Background Color" dropdown => No Color

-Reed

DianaLavery1
Esri Contributor

I'm having the same issue as Lukas.  I tried your method which works for the map frames, but I have a layout with three map frames (Alaska, Hawaii, and other 48 states), and the overall background of the entire layout is still white even though my three map frames have their backgrounds set to transparent.

BobSteiss
New Contributor III

I have ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and when I export the map as a png the background is transparent unlike when I export as a jpg and then I get a white background.

0 Kudos
RachelPasser1
New Contributor II

I have ArcGIS Pro 2.7.2 and I'm still having this issue as well. I set my background (verified both the map frame & the layout) to transparent, and when I exported to PDF it created a white background. I was able to remove the white background when opening the PDF in Adobe Illustrator. However, I will need to repeat this process for a few dozen maps, so that adds a lot more time to the process.

0 Kudos
BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

Same exact issue! Working with a global scene.

0 Kudos