How to get the dwg file to line up where it should be.

10-22-2019 12:10 PM
Stella-MarisAgu1
New Contributor II

Hi

How do i get this dwg file to align with other shapefiles. The spatial reference shows as unknown in arc catalog. I have tried defining projection and projecting as well. I have tired georeferencing but the file is rotated was not able to do that. Can anyone guide me. I have read and tried some suggestions  but no success. I have tried the CAD to GDB tool as well./ I have attached the file for anyone who can help. The file is supposed to show a location in Edmonton Canada.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Stella,

It sounds like you have tried all of the normal solutions.

When I come across and issue like this, I usually get the CAD operator to fix the CAD file and send it back. It helps if it is somehow aligned to real geometry, or at least has a coordinate system. Is there a way for you to get the CAD person to give information on this file and/or re-do it?

Stella-MarisAgu1
New Contributor II

Thanks Adrian for replying. I have emailed the person that sent the file to me. Was just hoping there was something i could try before i get a reply back.

0 Kudos
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

If the cad drawing is done to scale then one approach I have used in the past is geo reference the cad drawing to create a world file.  I have not done this years and  personally have to learn how to do it every time I need it done.  But to get you started....

About georeferencing CAD datasets—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Georeferencing CAD datasets—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Hope this give you another avenue to try?

If your working in Pro ..... I found this.

Georeferencing a DWG in ArcGIS Pro - YouTube 

Stella-MarisAgu1
New Contributor II

Thanks Ted! The links were helpful.

0 Kudos