How do I get my CAD data to project correctly without georeferencing?

10-01-2020 01:23 PM
LaurenConnor
New Contributor II

Hi All,

Okay, so total newbie when it comes to working with .dwg files, but I am about to throw my computer out a window and would love some guidance!

I have received .dwg files with the land surveyor report that gives me the information about the coordinate datum as well as the 'equation' on how to convert state plane to project coordinates. 

First: Is that actually an equation? If not, what is the translation. 

Second: No matter what combination of numbers I try, I just simply can't get the polyline to display in the correct location (working with State Plane Colorado Central). 

I probably did a poor job explaining this but I am happy to dive into it further. Please send help! 🙂

Thank you!

#cad to gis conversion issues#arcgis for cad#cad data

0 Kudos
18 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've always georeferenced cad drawings based on GIS data; for example if a pipeline runs down the middle of a given street, and I have the street in my GIS, I'm good to go. 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
LaurenConnor
New Contributor II

Well I have the CAD data in a geodatabase as well, but the surveyor wants it to be projected properly and my colleague and I are trying to figure out if it is possible to use the equations (with scale factor and truncation) to accurately project the .dwg file.. still no luck. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'd ask the surveyor how to do it then. 

0 Kudos
LaurenConnor
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, that is not an option.. which is why I am here.. thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Shout out to Melita Kennedy‌; maybe she can offer a solution.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update the coordinate system in the map dataframe to match that of the CAD file (if known), and then add the CAD file to the map. This has worked for me in the past. Good luck!

0 Kudos
LaurenConnor
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried that and the data populates in Nevada (supposed to be Colorado) 😞

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dang! Seems like it's almost the right projection...maybe try getting the exact projection name with units? Good luck!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also try opening up a whole new blank map, changing dataframe to your projection, and adding the CAD file...

0 Kudos