From DWG with extended data to Featureclass with attributes

03-29-2017 08:27 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Hi. I saw many questions related to the same problem (e.g. "How to convert CAD file xdata into geodatabase?"), but could not really find a solution to this, so I am posting this as a new question.

I have a DWG created in AutoCAD. It has some "solid" entities. I am facing some problems integrating my CAD data with ArcGIS. Here they are:

1. Although stated in the ESRI official documentation that solid entities should be read as multipatch natively, I fail to import them (the mutlipatch fc generated importing the dwg dataset from ArcCatalog is empty; also look at this thread on "gis.stackexchange"). Is it a recognised problem?
  2. Using the Quick Import tool of the Data Interoperability extension I was able to import the solid entities as multipatch geometries. However I cannot see the related extended data as attributes in the attribute table.

Before asking "How can I translate xdata into feature attributes?" I would like to know from ESRI or someone else facing such problem, "Which is the best procedure in AutoCAD to produce a DWG in order to import it into ArcGIS (ArcMap or Pro) preserving geometries AND attributes"?

I attached the DWG I am using. I am using ArcMap 10.4.1, and ArcGIS Pro 1.4. Many thanks in advance, I would highly appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, I took a look at the DWG and can't see any extended data to turn into attributes.

I'm using Data Interoperability, not AutoCAD, I'll see if a colleague who has that can dig up anything hidden.

AlessandroValra

Hi Bruce Harold‌. Sorry for the late reply. Anyway, The DWG has etended data, I could see them from AutoCAD. So the problems actually are: 1) why shuould  I need Data Interoperability to import AutoCAD solids in ArcGIS although stated differently in the documentation, and 2) how can I find and convert extended data (also with Data Interoperability) to "GIS attributes"?

The only workaround I found so far is to:

1. Convert the DWG to IFC using Civil3D. This creates some unique GlobalIDs.
  2. Export the IFC table with the GlobalIDs with Navisworks in (e.g.) CSV format.
  3. Import the IFC from point 1 into ArcGIS with Data Interoperability->I can see the solids as multipatch with GlobaIDs but no extended data in the attribute table.
  4. Join the multipatch with the table generated in 2 through the GlobalIDs.

Obviously, this is super ugly, as it involves one ArcGIS extension and two commercial softwares, and it is only acceptable for few imports and only for those lucky enough to have all these softwares.

Ulises_DarioGuzman_Sol
New Contributor II

I use LISP to get to the CAD XDATA and then I use the ArcGIS for AutoCAD API to create "GIS attributes". 

HanyFarouk
New Contributor

Hi

can you give me this lisp please.

thanks

0 Kudos
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

The documentation is in error.  ArcGIS desktop does not yet support the reading of SOLID entities in from AutoCAD (unfortunate error.)  The data interoperability extension does support SOLID entities as others have pointed out.  The XDATA you are referring to is more likely Object data or Custom 3D Properties, rather than formal XDATA.   AutoCAD has multiple ways to add descriptive data to entities.  This might include XDATA, XRECORDS, DICTIONARY OBJECTS, OBJECT DATA and Custom Object Properties.   I suspect what you are looking for are likely the Custom Object Properties that ArcGIS Desktop does not currently support.  Support for SOLID entities is something we hope to add very soon to ArcGIS desktop.  What are the properties/attributes you are looking to get on these SOLID entities?    As mentioned by Bruce, the data interoperability extension has its own support for AutoCAD entities and might give you access to some of these properties through various implementations of the Workbench tools.  As mentioned above for adding attributes yourself to AutoCAD entities (SOLIDS not supported yet), ArcGIS for AutoCAD is the best way to do this.  By the way,  Support for AutoCAD 3D MESH objects were just added in ArcGIS Pro 2.0.  

AlessandroValra

Thanks Don Kuehne‌ for clarifying.

I am not an AutoCAD user, but what would you suggest if I had to ask a AutoCAD user to insert descriptive data so that I can easily read in ArcMap as GIS attributes? Regardless of the sample I provided here, which would be the best way to go amongst XDATA, XRECORDS, DICTIONARY OBJECTS, OBJECT DATA and Custom Object Properties? Which would be read much easier from (e.g.) Data Interoperability (easier = with the least effort)? Thanks in advance for the great reply.

0 Kudos
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

Alessandro,

The best way to attribute AutoCAD objects that ArcGIS will be able to use is with the free plugin to AutoCAD,  ArcGIS for AutoCAD to build attributed GIS dataset.    This is one of the primary standard capabilities of this free product.  The form of data that is used is an Esri-designed implementation of XRECORDS and DICTIONARY's within the AutoCAD DWG file that Esri reads and writes.  We called it MSC (Mapping Specification for CAD).  The ArcGIS Desktop tool EXPORT TO CAD and the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plug-in READ and WRITE this style of data to provide a file-based exchange of ArcGIS data using the .DWG file alone.

DanielAvila
New Contributor

Sorry, How do you export dwg file to ArcGIS?

I cannot solved my problem exporting a simple polygon.

Have you a video or documentation for finally solved the issue?

Thank U

0 Kudos