Export CAD Data With Modelbuilder

Jump to solution
08-18-2017 07:54 AM
PrestonDallas1
New Contributor II

I have been stuck on this problem for days now and I am starting to think that it can't be done.  I am needing to search through a folder and find all of the CAD datasets.  Then I need to run a select by attributes only on the Polyline layer so I can export out certain features based on their attributes.  I don't know if there is a way to do that through ModelBuilder without selecting the Polyline layer first.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

OK, here's what you can do.

1.  Model 1 - Iterate Datasets with Dataset Type (optional) set to CAD, followed by Feature Class to Feature Class to save off the CAD datasets to a File Geodatabase as feature classes.  You will have to have a File Geodatabase set up in advance before running this.

2.  Model 2 - Iterate Feature Classes with Feature Type set to LINE.  Then add in the Select processes and other processing you want to do.   Model 2 would be run on the output from Model 1 after it finishes  (See Iterate Feature Class example in link below):

Examples of using iterators in ModelBuilder—Tools | ArcGIS Desktop 

3.  If it is desired to have both models automatically run one after another, Model 3 would be a linking model. Essentially Model 3 would be calls to the other two models, one after another.  Note that one cannot use more than one iterator in a Model, thus the need for multiple models. 

Integrating a model within a model—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Also, if you are familiar with Python and are going to be running this sort of processing often, Python may be an easier and more efficient way to do this than Modelbuilder.  Modelbuilder will still work, but it can be cumbersome once it involves multiple models.

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

For the first part of your challenge, finding the CAD datasets in a folder can be accomplished by using an Iterator in Modelbuilder.  In this case Iterate Datasets looks like it will do the trick (See example in link):

• note that even though the link takes one to an ArcGISPro help page on Iterators, the process is the same in ArcGIS Desktop (Esri documentation goof?)

The key in using this iterator is to set the "Dataset Type (optional)" setting to CAD.

Chris Donohue, GISP

PrestonDallas1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response Chris.  I am using the Iterate Datasets and setting the Dataset Type to CAD. My problem is after it iterates through the CAD datasets. I need to select just the polyline layer from the CAD dataset so I can run a select by attributes on the layer and create a new line layer inside a geodatabase.  I am using the Select Data tool after I iterate but it is not giving me the option to select the polyline CAD layer.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

I know there is a way to do the next step, I just am blanking on it at the moment (need caffeine)

In the meantime, here's some general CAD to GIS info in case that triggers some ideas:

Strategies for loading CAD data—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Chris Donohue, GISP

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

OK, here's what you can do.

1.  Model 1 - Iterate Datasets with Dataset Type (optional) set to CAD, followed by Feature Class to Feature Class to save off the CAD datasets to a File Geodatabase as feature classes.  You will have to have a File Geodatabase set up in advance before running this.

2.  Model 2 - Iterate Feature Classes with Feature Type set to LINE.  Then add in the Select processes and other processing you want to do.   Model 2 would be run on the output from Model 1 after it finishes  (See Iterate Feature Class example in link below):

3.  If it is desired to have both models automatically run one after another, Model 3 would be a linking model. Essentially Model 3 would be calls to the other two models, one after another.  Note that one cannot use more than one iterator in a Model, thus the need for multiple models. 

Integrating a model within a model—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Also, if you are familiar with Python and are going to be running this sort of processing often, Python may be an easier and more efficient way to do this than Modelbuilder.  Modelbuilder will still work, but it can be cumbersome once it involves multiple models.

Chris Donohue, GISP

PrestonDallas1
New Contributor II

Thank you for all of your help Chris! 

I looked at create multiple models myself but since I won't be the only one to run the model, I was trying to combine it all into one. I will probably look at the Python option instead. I just need to dust off those skills and books to tackle this task

Preston Dallas

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Preston, to follow up, when you get a model or script created, you can share it here (or just the gist of it). If Chris's reply help solve this issue, please mark his reply as "Correct".

Chris, thanks for responding and providing all this info! This is great!

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos