Attribute Rule Management Tool

09-30-2021 08:39 AM
Suleyman-Arslan
Occasional Contributor

Create an Attribute Rule Management Form at database level something like domain management tool.

This would help to do some management task such as;

- Able to browse rules on database something like catalog tree and display list of rules for selected object.

- Change basic parameters for selected rules (e.g. triggers, execution options)

- Change rule order. 

- Enable/Disable all rules in database or for selected feature classes only.

- Open detailed attribute rule window for script editing.

7 Comments
JoeBorgione

Attribute rules are a property of the feature layer while domains are a property of the database itself. 

Suleyman-Arslan
Of course, they are not in same level. Domain may not good example. Just I am trying to say that a separate browser for attribute rules for easy management.
JoeBorgione

I understand your concept, but also consider that features come and go to and from a geodatabase, so I guess somehow the gdb based browser of attribute rules would have to be smart enough to recognize those changes.   But the idea of a one stop management tool is worth a kudo from me!

Suleyman-Arslan
Yes you are right. It is not easy job. Thanks for Kudo.
by Anonymous User
Suleyman-Arslan

Yes, Attribute Rules view is what we have currently. Existing tool, we have to know what we have in which feature class. Than go to catalog browse it and than open the tool. For other fc start over and open another window. Go one by one.

What do you think about a specific window listing all existing rules globally on geodb. and ability to filter them by type, fc, etc.

T_Remmert

When dealing with domains at the enterprise level, you are given a tool that enumerates "where all they are in use". Just that functionality, but for attribute rules, would be a huge efficiency improvement. If I receive a schema from a client I literally have to click each of the 150 feature classes just to determine if it has an attribute rule applied & how many. Honestly I wish I could manage subtypes at the enterprise level as well. I miss the days of FGDB X-Ray that would lay a whole schema & dependencies out for me in a chart.