Very Slow ArcReader

08-10-2011 09:39 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Can't figure out why our published maps are suddenly running at glacial speed. I can run them just fine on my machine, but no one else can do anything because it is so slow.  Nothing has changed recently so I am at a loss.  Thoughts?

Running ArcGIS 9.3 sp1 on WindowsXP for all machines.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola Sandy,

I wanted to see if you are still seeing the issue posted. Are you creating your pmf file on the server (network location) where everyone else can open the pmf file, where the performance is very slow for them. I would suggest to creating the mxd in the same location, along with having the source data also in the same location, and then build your .pmf file. Please let us know if this helps or you are still encountering the same issues. Gracias, Sandy!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
The issue shows on and off, but I could easily try putting the mxd and pmf in the same location as the data. It certainly couldn't hurt and it could actually help. Thanks so much for the idea, Juan.

Have a wonderful day.
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola Sandy,

If you see further issues, please let me know and we can look into other possible suggestions. I always like to place these items on the server (network location) where everyone else can open the pmf. This has always seems to work for users with an Intranet system within their organizations, and to always centralize everything. Please let us know if this helps or you are still encountering the same issues. Gracias, Sandy!
0 Kudos
JanuszStozek
New Contributor
You could write a batch file (.bat in vb.script) process to copy the .mxd file and the .pmf file to the local hard drive. Make sure that the relative path is selected and updated that when the file moves the path will be updated. .pmf file maintains a link when identifying or searching the features. Have ArcReader installed on local machine and have the batch file to copy from the server and paste the files to local hard drive and open .pmf file with that custom ArcReader.

This is an alternative method from a centralized approach. It's complex but doable.

Otherwise, you might have to step through troubleshooting your network issue...
0 Kudos