Publishing Hyperlinks to ArcReader

11-29-2010 11:49 AM
FallTroy
New Contributor III
Sorry if this has been posted but I could not find what I needed to know through searching.

1. I've set up hyperlinks in ArcMap. I click on a polygon and I've linked my shapes to pdf documents.
2. I now need to share this info through ArcReader. Before I shell out 2500 for ArcPublisher, I want to make sure that if I publish currently hyperlinked shapes in ArcMap that they will transfer and work exactly like they do in ArcMap. (Click on a polygon and bring up my pdf)

If anyone has any expirence with this please let me know.

Thanks,

FallTroy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
PeterKasianchuk
New Contributor II
I'm testing this right now, and my hyperlinks are working for PDF and JPG, but you've got to manage the storage paths appropriately, as relative path naming won't work (it appears to work for feature classes, however).
0 Kudos
FallTroy
New Contributor III
I'm testing this right now, and my hyperlinks are working for PDF and JPG, but you've got to manage the storage paths appropriately, as relative path naming won't work (it appears to work for feature classes, however).

Thank you for the reply.

Sorry for the ignorance but what do you mean by storing the paths appropriately? If the hyperlink(filepath) work in ArcMap, do you mean they would act differently in ArcReader after being published?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
JustinBoehm
New Contributor
//edit:  tracked down a helpful item which has changed my experience.

When saving relative field based Hyperlinks to a map document you plan on publishing to ArcReader, you have to publish the document to the same location that your map file is in.  Otherwise your relative hyperlinks will come in as dead links.
0 Kudos
JasonGillow
New Contributor II
What happens when you want to publish the hyperlinks in a PMF and create a data package, and distribute the PMF and data package to other non GIS users?
0 Kudos
DanielErklauer
New Contributor III
If you create hyperlinks within desktop and publish a map the hyperlinks will continue to work as long as you have access to the original file structure (internal solution i.e. users on the same network as you).

If you plan on distributing the PMF externally you will need to distribute the document/images in addition to the map package and have a little knowledge of where your customer is going to store the map packages so you can modify the links within desktop to reflect the new file structure (external solution).  Publisher will not bundle up the documents for you within the published service. 

I�??m assuming that your pdf's are local (network or hard drive).  If you have them uploaded to the internet or an FTP than it makes life a little easier because you will not have to distribute the documents along with the map package.

It really comes down to where your pdfs/images are stored and how you/someone else manages them.  What I mean by this is are your files something that you organized? If so you would be better suited using relative path name to establish your links.  or if the documents you are linking to are managed by another individual you will have to use Absolute paths.

it�??s the 9.2 version but it does not make it any less true...  http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=Pathnames_explained%3A_Absolute%2C_rel...
0 Kudos