How to ask a question on this confusing site...?

07-22-2021 07:58 PM
RUSTYSPIARS
New Contributor

What a confusing site this isHow do I ask a question? I downloaded and installed ArcReader but am unable to start it or use it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you checked out the quick start guide? And the system requirements?

As for your first question, you just did ask a question. Simple as that! If you've asked it in the wrong place, someone will probably move your post over to the appropriate area.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

moved..

... sort of retired...
RUSTYSPIARS
New Contributor

J, I finally got Arcreader to open up. The i found out it was looking for a pmp file. The group of gis files sent to me didnt include a pmp file. Now I am wondering if Arcreader is not the software I needed.  The batch of files came from the city engineer, taken from a GIS that says "web appbuilder for Arc Gis." So I assumed Arcreader would read them.  Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Interestingly,  How to ask a question - Esri Community

can be found in the Community Basics just to the left of your avatar.  It contains lots of documents etc.

All Communities a bit further to the left.  This is how things are organized.

As for ArcReader,  ArcReader Questions - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you receive any error message while starting ArcReader? Kindly provide a few more details about the issue you are facing. Screenshot of the error, if any, would be appreciated.

About Starting ArcReader

Hope you have installed it properly. Normally, an ArcGIS Product Setup extracts , extracts the setup folder first, then it proceeds to installation of the software (if checked). Else it has to be manually installed from the extracted folder.

JayantaPoddar_0-1627019281016.png

Installation starts automatically if "Launch the Setup Program" is checked.

If it isn't, go to the extracted folder to install it manually.

JayantaPoddar_1-1627019441353.png

After installation, Open the ArcReader from Start menu.

JayantaPoddar_2-1627020177992.png

Once the application is started, you can open a PMF file that was published using Publisher extension of ArcMap.

Think Location
RUSTYSPIARS
New Contributor

It was installed properly, but I am used to any newly installed app asking me if I want it to open up, or at least leave a shortcut on my desktop. I got neither....which was a new experience. So i immediately thought, these people at ESRI Arc whatever dont care to make things user friendly for newbies....which is very typical.  Anyway I got Arcreader to open up, then I tried to open the GIS files I received from the city, and Arcreader was looking for a pmp file, whatever the **bleep** that is. I have no pmp file.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ArcReader is only meant to be used for reading the Published Map Files (.PMF) that is published by ArcMap's Publisher extension.

What files did you receive from the city? Could you share screenshot of the files (from Windows Explorer)? If zipped, please unzip it before sharing the screenshot.

Think Location
0 Kudos
nimitz
by
Occasional Contributor

Yep. I've been an ArcMap user for almost 20 years and they obfuscate information...for what?

0 Kudos