Converting Bing Maps to ArcReader using the Package Data Option

04-18-2011 12:23 AM
ChrisGraves
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I'm attempting to package data which includes Bing Maps using the Create Package Tool from the Publisher toolbar however I receive the attached error. Also if I change in the 'Data Format' to 'Copy Data in Exisiting Format' I receive a second error.

Some documentation suggests that I can use the 'Copy' function but I have no idea where this function is.

Also can I save a packaged map from v10 (Desktop) and open it in ArcReader 9.3?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Chris
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BenLowes
New Contributor II
Having the same problem with Bing maps.  Will let you know if I find a solution.
0 Kudos
JamesPaull
New Contributor III
Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Having the exact same problem at my end...
0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor
Hello, the reason why the error is being received when attempting to create a data package from the Publisher toolbar, is because the Bing Basemap is a map service hosted by esri/microsoft that is being viewed as read-only data in ArcMap. Because the data is located on external servers, there is nothing that the data package can package. Therefore that layer/basemap is invalid.

However, the basemap does get written to the .pmf that can be sent to another user. Providing that they have internet access that basemap should display automatically when the .pmf gets opened in ArcReader.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
WendyLargent
New Contributor III
I have been able to package and publish an Arc Reader map in the past. There has been something changed for whatever reason. What is it?
I don't believe that it is because there is nothing to package because I am able to publish out local NAIP imagery service through the state.

Wendy
0 Kudos
ClaudeF
New Contributor III

However, the basemap does get written to the .pmf that can be sent to another user. Providing that they have internet access that basemap should display automatically when the .pmf gets opened in ArcReader.

Kevin, like with Chris Graves attached "screenshots "document, I get a message saying "The data package has not been created" when i try to package to a File Geodatabase. When you open my .pmf (with the bing layers in there) there are no layers to turn on since the data package has not been created.
It sounds as if you have had more success though. Do you get different results packaging yours? If so, please share.
0 Kudos