Trimble Positions nightmare

03-20-2013 03:15 PM
EricJohnson
New Contributor III
We have made the switch from GPS Correct to Positions, but cannot in any way shape or form get it to check in data. Been working with Trimble to try to get a solution, but I haven't been able to find anyone else who is successfully using it to see if we can figure out what is going on. We have upgraded to Win 7, have all drivers etc. up to date, are running Arc Basic 10.1, Arcpad 10, and are collecting data with a GeoXH. The error we get says that we can't chek in because the .axf file is in use by another process, even when there is nothing else running:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'S:\Gis\GeoXH Data\Check In\Sewer_2-25\KGID_Sewers_gps_mdb.axf' because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

There is much more to the error message, but I am wondering if anyone else has fought through this?

Eric
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RyanJones2
New Contributor
A few things may be the root of the problem.  Do you have SP1 installed?  Where is the geodatabase and the jet database or whatever you are using to store session data?  The geodatabase probably isn't the problem, even if its on a server.  But odd things can happen.  We keep the jet database on the desktop we use to post process.  When on a server, we had some problems.
0 Kudos
DeanMostad
New Contributor II
I have had the same problem and took me a few days to figure out. Here are a few things to consider...

1) I use relative paths in all of my ArcGIS projects. Trimble positions seems  remembers the absolute path so to speak. I had issues because I mapped a drive on the server directly to the project I was working on. When I created the original project I went to the server and then to my project. I now know that this is one way to create a similar error you are talking about. In summary the Trimble Positions database that is created in the background stores the absolute path to your data, at least that's what I have found. It actually makes sense when you think about it.

2) If you are working from a server, try and copy the check in project onto your local machine and check it in. I know this is contrary to what is said above but this also worked for me.

3) A am still having problems checking in data from the server environment but use #2 as a work around.

4) I looked into the JIT stuff and don't think that's the answer

5) Good Luck.! Keep on trying, you will get it working. We are both ahead of the game.

Another thought... Are you checking out shapefiles? If you are I could not get this to work at all!  In my workflow I create quick projects using geodatabases. I only check out the Schema for my editing files and use background data axf files for my base (counties, etc)
0 Kudos
EricJohnson
New Contributor III
Thanks guys, I posted this and then saw another thread on the topic. The problem has been solved by locating everything on the local machine (we had been running on a network)

Eric
0 Kudos
jmmGeoToo
New Contributor II
I have had the same problem and took me a few days to figure out. Here are a few things to consider...

1) I use relative paths in all of my ArcGIS projects. Trimble positions seems  remembers the absolute path so to speak. I had issues because I mapped a drive on the server directly to the project I was working on. When I created the original project I went to the server and then to my project. I now know that this is one way to create a similar error you are talking about. In summary the Trimble Positions database that is created in the background stores the absolute path to your data, at least that's what I have found. It actually makes sense when you think about it.

2) If you are working from a server, try and copy the check in project onto your local machine and check it in. I know this is contrary to what is said above but this also worked for me.

3) A am still having problems checking in data from the server environment but use #2 as a work around.

4) I looked into the JIT stuff and don't think that's the answer

5) Good Luck.! Keep on trying, you will get it working. We are both ahead of the game.

Another thought... Are you checking out shapefiles? If you are I could not get this to work at all!  In my workflow I create quick projects using geodatabases. I only check out the Schema for my editing files and use background data axf files for my base (counties, etc)

Hi...

Regarding the QuickProject/shapefile workflow, have you tried the 'Import ArcPad QuickProject...' functionality available in the Projects area of the Administration window?

Regards,

Matt
0 Kudos
jmmGeoToo
New Contributor II
Thanks guys, I posted this and then saw another thread on the topic. The problem has been solved by locating everything on the local machine (we had been running on a network)

Eric

Eric...

Thanks for closing the loop on this.  The underlying issue is that Trimble Positions attempts to make a backup copy of the AXF file prior to check-in and this will fail when the location is accessed via UNC path (even if mapped to a drive letter).  Re-locating the files to a local path for check-in will resolve the issue.

Regards,

Matt
0 Kudos
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for this as well - I just wanted to post a little work-around if you have to have your geodatabase on a network.

I have my check-out/check-in map on my desktop as well as my check-out/check-in folders with apm/axf files.

I have my geodatabase and Trimble Positions jet database on the network.

The check-in is successful.
0 Kudos
LouisHill
New Contributor
I am also experiencing difficulties with the Trimble Positions software.  It seems that I cannot get the "export to ArcPad for disconnected editing" option when I perform a checkout.  Everything has to be a background layer (shapefile or AXF).  Any suggestions?
0 Kudos