Toolbar manager not succesfully removing navigation toolbar

09-24-2010 05:56 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can either confirm the problem or possibly has a solution for me.

I have developed an app that has a custom toolbar in a new apa file. I want to remove all standard/default toolbars that come with the ArcPad apx. and have done so in the ArcPad toolbar manager.

Whenever I remove the navigation toolbar AND/OR all other toolbars I am still left with the navigation toolbar, although it does have a diferent toolbar icon.

Could someone have a go in their ArcPad and let me know if they get the same problem.

Thanks

Kyle
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can either confirm the problem or possibly has a solution for me.

I have developed an app that has a custom toolbar in a new apa file. I want to remove all standard/default toolbars that come with the ArcPad apx. and have done so in the ArcPad toolbar manager.

Whenever I remove the navigation toolbar AND/OR all other toolbars I am still left with the navigation toolbar, although it does have a diferent toolbar icon.

Could someone have a go in their ArcPad and let me know if they get the same problem.

Thanks

Kyle

I believe you are correct.  I have 2 custom toolbars that includes all that is needed for field folks and the rest remain off.  We have another function that can turn all toolbars on and off and left as such when the .apa is saved.  In our case, the navigation toolbar is new so I need to add it to checkbox list and it should be on or off as saved.  I will let you know as I am in the process of modifying our .apa top to bottom.  I attached a screenshot of what it looks like.  If you would like more info, please let me know.
0 Kudos
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
Hi,

I have the same problem, not just you. And I know others who experienced the same. I raised a call and am waiting for Redlands to investigate. Let you know if there's any updates.

Zoltan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the confirmation guys.

It just amazes me that ESRI can release a tool that fails with such a basic funtion. There are long runing beta release before the main release and surely when the toolbar manager is designed for specifically this purpose it was tested first.

Does anyone know of another method to switch these toolbars off within the apa perhaps? Be a great help as this has now thrown a major spanner in our release of this tool.

On a seperate note, back in version 7.2 I raised to ESRI inc the fact that it is not possible to theme on more than one field in ArcPad (a basic GIS function) this was investigated and I was invited to the beta testing and given the idea that it would be fixed for version 8. Needless to say that it wasn't and amazingly, out comes version 10 and it's still not working.

It would be nice if anyone at ESRI inc development responded to some of these forum questions?
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
Finished adding the "Navigation" toolbar (among others) to my checklist for on/off.  Attached is the VB script (will be converted soon) for just Navigation.  It will work for any other toolbar as well.  All you need to do is create the form and add the check buttons (see attached screenshot).  Let me know if you have any questions.
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
Finished up adding the additional toolbars to our on/off function:  Here is the VB code for "Navigation" (will be converted to something else in the near future)

' Turn Toolbars on/off

Dim NavigationToolbar
Set NavigationToolbar = Application.Toolbars("Navigation")

Sub ToggleNavigation
If NavigationToolbar.Visible = True Then
  NavigationToolbar.Visible = "False"
Else
  NavigationToolbar.Visible = "True"
End If
End Sub

' Set Toolbar form objects
Sub CheckDefault
Dim objCheck
Set objCheck = Applet.Forms("frmToolbars").Pages("pgToolbars").Controls '(space is not really in this word, this site just shows it that way)'
'Applets("XXXXXX").Forms("frmXXXXXX").Show

If NavigationToolbar.visible = True Then
  objCheck("chkNavigation").Value = "True"
Else
  objCheck("chkNavigation").Value = "False"
End If

End Sub

All you need to do is create a form with a checklist and save the code in a script and add it to your .apa.  This code is not originally mine, but it has fairly basic elements so it is easy to replicate.  I attached a screenshot of what our on/off box looks like.  I realize it's an additional step to do what you would think could easily be done anyway, but it does accomplish the end result.  Let me know if you have any questions.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Steven,

Thanks for your help with this, that is useful code for future use. Do you or anyone else know whether it's possible to call this sub on opening or loading of ArcPad? I really don't want to force users to switch them off with checkboxes on a form if it can be avoided.

Thanks

Kyle
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
Steven,

Thanks for your help with this, that is useful code for future use. Do you or anyone else know whether it's possible to call this sub on opening or loading of ArcPad? I really don't want to force users to switch them off with checkboxes on a form if it can be avoided.

Thanks

Kyle

Probably.  I just save the .axf/.apm with what I want on and off when I create it.  It carries the changes (just confirmed it).  The function is still there so if someone needs to access another toolbar, the option remains.
0 Kudos
MatthewProkuda
New Contributor II
The navigation toolbar is the StreetMap applet - its not part of the standard toolbars.  That's why it's not removed via standard toolbar management processes.  It's not a bug.  The easiest way to remove the navigation toolbar is to go to the applets folder C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcPad10.0\Applets
and remove all the files (except any of your own that you may have put in there.)  They are all prefixed with "sm" so easy to identify.

Matt
0 Kudos
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
Hi all,

You are absolutely correct in saying that the reason the Navigation Toolbar has not dissapeared completely is due to the StreetMap Extension applet tools. If you want to create an ArcPad project that will launch only with your applet toolbars and none of the ArcPad defaults - why not use ArcPad App Shortcuts? You can configure the shortcut to reference applets from any folder, choose to ignore the default applet path and remove all of the ArcPad default toolbars. Even better, you can configure shortcuts on a per-project basis without having to alter your default ArcPad work environment.This functionality was added in ArcPad 10.0.2.

Thanks,
Hannah Ferrier
ArcPad Development Team
0 Kudos