Snapping not working on my desktop

08-20-2010 06:42 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi All,

Apologise if I'm simply missing something simple, but I have set the snapping tolerance in the layer properties and also in the map properties within ArcPad 10, but when I move a point near to another point or line, no snapping takes place.

Is it not meant to work on my destop with a mouse. Do I need to be on a touch screen device like a tablet pc? Seems odd if I do. Either that or there is a button to enable snapping which I've missed?

Also, can you snap from the first vertice of a new line or a new point? You're not limited to snapping when moving vertices are you?

Much appreciated.

Kyle
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
Hi,

As far as I remember, snapping only works during editing. Enable/select a layer for editing and try again. It should work.

Hope this helps.

Zoltan
0 Kudos
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
I just ran into this problem elsewhere and I gave a try to see.

ESRI has changed it a bit...
When you set the snapping environment for your layers, but didn`t enable the visibility of the buffwer/tolerance, you might think there`s no snapping, because it doesn`t work as you might think (and in ArcMap). If you enable the visibility for snapping buffer, you will see black areas around your features (depending on their geometry). If you click inside the black area, your points/vertexes will be snapped.

However, the classic snapping is working, when you edit existing features... strange..

Anyone?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Zoltan,

Can you explain the option to 'enable visibility for snapping buffer' a little further please. I have never seen this option within ArcPad and find it amazing that you would have to set 3 different things in ArcPad simply to get it to snap features together.

You also mentioned that the classic snapping is working? What do you mean by classic snapping? I cannot seem to get any snapping to work and I'd like to think I'm very familiar with previous versions of ArcPad and generally ESRI products. It must be something very silly that I'm missing in ArcPad 10.

Thanks
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Zoltan,

My mistake, but the reason I was having problems came down to my layers/project being unprojected. Hence when I set the tolerance to 10 or even 100, in the map space this was millimteres and it never snapped.

Thanks
0 Kudos
KieranSmith
New Contributor II
I was also having problems getting this to work - I tried all the usual stuff and changed the pixel tolerance etc. Still no luck.

I 'solved' it when I turned off a CAD layer I had in there, which I was just using for visuals. I would say that's a bug.

Kieran
0 Kudos