Not being able to use External List Values

10-14-2010 07:49 PM
AndresAristizabal
New Contributor
I really need some help here...
the thing is I want to use external list values for a combobox.
I have the dbf file, but the program is not able to see anything inside the dbf...

My frustration is growing stronger since i tried to use the Tree Ownership.dbf inside the tutorial folder, and still is not able to see anything inside dbf files...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andres
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
Fiona,

You're most likely running into the following bug:

CQ00312474: Fields for external list values only show on XP machines (not on Win7/Vista)

If you're using a Windows Vista or Windows 7 machine you won't see the Value and Text lists populated with any information.  You'll have to use an XP machine to set these fields.

As far as the axf file goes:

You check out your data to axf file by checking your data out "for disconnected editing" using the ArcPad Data Manager in ArcMap.  This will allow you to check the changes you make in the field right back into the geodatabase.

Also, if you have coded value domains set up in your geodatabase and applied to your feature classes, those will automatically get transferred to ArcPad as pick lists when you check out for disconnected editing.  No need then to do it yourself manually in ArcPad Studio.
0 Kudos
DHCDHC
by
New Contributor II
Hi Tim,

I tried using an XP machine and it works (good thing we still have an old machine running XP). Thanks so much - you just saved my weekend! Also, thanks for the info about axf files.

cheers,
Fiona
0 Kudos
MiguelCortes1
New Contributor
Hi all,

If you are running on windows 7 you have to make sure arcpad studio is running on XP compatibility mode.

Right click on Arcpad Studio icon > properties> Compatibility> click box and choose Windows XP (SP3).

Lists values should show now.
0 Kudos
MattMcLeod
New Contributor
Hi all,

If you are running on windows 7 you have to make sure arcpad studio is running on XP compatibility mode.

Right click on Arcpad Studio icon > properties> Compatibility> click box and choose Windows XP (SP3).

Lists values should show now.

You the man, Miguel!  Thanks for sharing that crucial bit of info!  They should really list that in the help doc.
0 Kudos