Export axf data to SDE?

09-01-2010 12:56 PM
JoelSabin
New Contributor III
Our server died and we lost a lot of data. I have a recent copy of most of it on my GPS, as axf files.
Is there any way to use data on my GPS to rebuild what I lost on the SDE?

Joel
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NikkiRosemeyer
New Contributor II
Have you tried doing a 'dummy' check-out of data from SDE, copying over that .axf with the .axf from your GPS unit, and checking it back in?  We've had some success with that prior to our SDE conversion, and we just haven't gotten to that point yet.
Nikki Rosemeyer
GIS Coordinator/Analyst
City of Dubuque, IA
0 Kudos
JoelSabin
New Contributor III
Have you tried doing a 'dummy' check-out of data from SDE, copying over that .axf with the .axf from your GPS unit, and checking it back in?  We've had some success with that prior to our SDE conversion, and we just haven't gotten to that point yet.

I had thought about doing that this morning, and I will try to do that with a personal GDB first.

EDIT: No luck. We have older versions of the data I need, on our SDE. I exported those to a personal GDB. Then I created a map from that data, and exported the layers I need to AXF format. Next, I replaced the exported AXF data with the data from my GPS. I was able to complete the check-in process but nothing came through.

The AXF data were exported as background layers, would that matter?

I have done "fake check-outs" with shapefiles before, but this is my first attempt with AXF.
0 Kudos
GarethWalters
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Joel,

In ArcPad 10, from Studio you can export the data from an AXF to shapefiles and then re-import those into SDE.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gareth
0 Kudos
JoelSabin
New Contributor III
Gareth, would that work if the files were exported as background layers (read-only)?

-Joel
0 Kudos