creating/opening layers in ArcPad 8.0

06-28-2010 05:27 AM
ChristopherJursa
New Contributor
Hello,

I am new to ArcPad.  I have downloaded the evaulation of version 8.0.

I have a shapefile and .lyr file for that shapefile created in ArcGIS 9.3.  I was hoping to view this in ArcPad 8.0. 

I understand ArcPad uses a different layer file format than ArcGIS.  How do I go about converting the .lyr file to something ArcPad can use?  Should I convert the .lyr or create a new one for ArcPad from scratch?  My .lyr file is not too complex.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
Hi,

Use ArcPad Data Manager Toolbar in ArcMap to export your shapefile's symbology to use in ArcPad (Export shapefile symbology for ArcPad command).

Hope this helps.

Zoltan
0 Kudos
ChristopherJursa
New Contributor
Hi,

That helped and then some!

It carries over the symbology and the selected attributes of interest.  Is there any way to give the attribute names their respective alias in ArcGIS?
0 Kudos
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
Hi,

Yes. If you give aliases to your fields in ArcGIS, and then you "export" your data with Get data for ArcPad tool, it carries over the aliases. (Tested.) So if you open this exported .apm in AP and identify a feature, you can see the fields named by their aliases.
(You should you the above tool, because like mxd in ArcGIS, apm stores the extra info - such as aliases, macros and so on.)

Hope this helps

Zoltan
0 Kudos
ChristopherJursa
New Contributor
Hello.  Thanks for your assistance so far.

When I use the "Get Data For ArcPad" function, it exports the symbology and selected fields.  However, it does not export the aliases.  I am using the defaults for the operation.  Hence, I have checked off the options in the attached image.

Why can't I retain my field aliases?
0 Kudos
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
Hi,

I have no idea. I use AG v9.3 SP1 and AP8 SP3...
I tried every options I could imagine, and it still works for me (check out in shp/axf, read-only/editable, etc). Anyway, is that field that has alias selected too? I used the defaults too... (see pic)

Zoltan
0 Kudos