Cannot generate polygon vertices

03-30-2011 06:13 PM
GaryRoberson
New Contributor
I am using ArcPad 7.1.1.  I have may map set up and have assigned a NAD83 based projection  to it and the shapefile for the polygon data.  I have a GPS receiver running and receiving position data in ArcPad.  However, the Add GPS Vertex button ( and the continuous one) remain grayed out.  I am unable to add any vertices to create my boundary polygons.  Any suggestions?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Gary,

Are you using the Polygon feature tool when editing with GPS? The Ellipse, Circle, Rectangle, and Freehand Polygon feature tools allows data capture with the pen but not with incoming GPS coordinates. The Add GPS Vertex and Add GPS Vertices Continuously tools are enabled when the GPS is active and the polygon feature type (or polyline) is active for data capture. Same holds true for Polyline tool, the Line tool and Freehand Line tool  allows data capture with the pen but not with incoming GPS coordinates.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcpad/10.0/help/index.html#/The_Edit_toolbar/00s100000007000000/

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos
GaryRoberson
New Contributor
Denise,

We were using the ploygon tool, the shapefile was set up as a polygon.  GPS was active, but the GPS vertex tool never activated.  I was wondering if projection information may have been missing or if that would cause such an issue.  Also, I was wondering if GPS position quality may have an impact.

I have tried it again this morning and it works perfectly.  I have no idea what caused the glitch.
0 Kudos
jasonblocker1
New Contributor II
is it possible the polygon layer was not set to be editable?
0 Kudos
GaryRoberson
New Contributor
Checked that too.  That was my first step.  In the table of contents the box for editing was checked.
0 Kudos