Can't Check In ArcPad AXF file using Trimble Positions Desktop

Jump to solution
03-14-2013 11:02 AM
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
I'm testing Trimble Positions with a file geodatabase and I can't seem to check in my data. I'm using the Trimble Positions ArcPad extension to collect data on a Trimble GeoXT 6000 unit. Here's the error message I receive:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. The process cannot access the file (and then it lists the file path of my .axf file) because it is being used by another process."

I can't figure out what other "process" would be using my .axf file. I always make sure to close ArcPad on my GPS unit after collecting data. I do not have ArcPad open on my computer. The only application I have running is ArcMap. I'm not using the ArcPad data manager toolbar, I'm using the Trimble Positions Desktop window to check in data. I manually copy and paste my check in and check out folders to and from the GPS unit. Also, I can't override it manually and "continue" like the error message claims.

I've followed the workflows in the Administrator/User Guides for Trimble Positions when setting up my map document and GNSS enabling my geodatabase, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kerry
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
This problem has been solved in the latest release of Trimble Positions Desktop Add-in (10.1.0.2).

It is now possible to check-out from and check-in to a geodatabase and map document located in a network location.

The release notes state:

Trimble Positions Desktop add-in may fail to make a backup copy of an AXF file if the backup folder is located on a network drive. If this situation occurs, a record is added to the log file but the user is not notified.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RyanJones2
New Contributor
Are you checking in the AXF to the same map document you checked it out from?  Also, make sure you are are not "in" the geodatabase or folder in ArcCatalog or Windows Explorer.  I've found it can create a lock file that will prevent access.  As a precaution, I always go to a different folder in ArcCatalog and refresh the folder the data is in.
0 Kudos
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
Yes, I'm trying to check in the data using the same map document. I've been aware of the Catalog/Windows Explorer locks as well. I'm beginning to suspect that it's something specific to that geodatabase. I made a basic test geodatabase and I could check in data just fine. Still not sure what it would be though...Thanks.
0 Kudos
JoelDuChateau
New Contributor II
I am having the exact same problem.  Do you have 10.1 SP1 installed?  I do not but wondered if that makes a difference....

There doesn't seem to be much documentation out yet.  In my brief experience with Positions I personally don't like how all the different tools for ArcGIS Mobile and ArcPad are all lumped together in the Positions Desktop Administrator.

My salesperson has contacted Trimble about the issue, so we will see if they know the solution.
0 Kudos
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
I do not have SP1 installed. Good point, I wonder if that would help.
0 Kudos
JoelDuChateau
New Contributor II
I spoke with Trimble and per their recommendation I worked from a local database for the checkout.  I had been using a network location and the change seemed to work.  This is the second time working from a local database solved the problem, and that will be my policy moving forward.
0 Kudos
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
I noticed that as well. The checkout fails when my geodatabase is stored on our server. When I copy it onto my desktop, the checkout works. However, this will not work for my purposes as there are multiple users of the geodatabase.
0 Kudos
EricJohnson
New Contributor III
I just started a thread with the same question before I saw this one. Just for clarification, is it the Jetdatabase which needs to be on the local machine, or the entire geodatabase we are working with?

Eric
0 Kudos
kg76
by
Occasional Contributor
I've tried it a couple of ways. First I had my geodatabase on our server and created a Jet database in the default location (C:\ProgramData\Trimble\Positions\10.1). Then I also tried creating a Jet database and moving it to the server so that the geodatabase and jet database were in the same location. Neither seemed to work. The only thing that would work was having the geodatabase on my C: drive and my Jet database in the default location.

I've also since installed Service Pack 1 and that didn't fix the problem.
0 Kudos
EricJohnson
New Contributor III
That worked for us as well, thanks.

Eric
0 Kudos