Can not Check ArcPad Data and AXF/SSF file back into Geodatabase

08-19-2010 01:55 PM
StephanieMacuga
New Contributor III
Hi,

We have two field units that we use to collect county utilty points.  We check out data from the same geodatabase for both units, and check back into the same geodatabase also.  The only caviat is that our data may be checked out for several weeks if not months due to our guys being out in the field and unable to get back to the office (we know there are other mobile upload solutions out there, we just haven't implemented them yet). 

With that being said, I have one of the units on my desk that I can see the axf file and several SSF files, though when I select the "Check in AXF and SSF file" on GPS Analyst, the features to be checked in is completely empty as though no features were collected.  Is there any way to salvage this data??

Any help is appreciated!
Stephanie
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ericbock
New Contributor III
Check out the ArcPad Team Blog, "Export AXF data to Shapefile or Excel Spreadsheet" written July 30,2010.  http://arcpadteam.blogspot.com/
0 Kudos
StephanieMacuga
New Contributor III
Thank you - I had seen this article before, but we currently aren't running 10 yet.  I was hoping there may be another solution for 9.3.1, but this might be a great excuse to push for upgrading a bit sooner than we had anticipated! 

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
ericbock
New Contributor III
I think I found an easier fix.  try this:

1) If you have a copy of your checkout folder (field data) on the mobile device, then delete the checkout folder on your PC....where you orginally saved the checkout data
2) Also, delete the *.apo file associated with your original checkout.  It should be the same name as your project and is located in the same folder location as your checkout folder location.   
3) Open your ArcMap project back up
4) Check the data out again and make sure you name it exactly the same
5) Save your map after checkout
6) Copy the data folder from your mobile device and overwrite the folder we just checked out
7) Start GPS editing in GPS analyst
😎 Check-in data

Let me know if this works.  I lost my axf checkout today because I forgot to save edits and I was able to salvage my data without having to use the option in the previous post.
0 Kudos
StephanieMacuga
New Contributor III
Sorry for the delay in response!  I did try the steps as you've outlined and still had no success.  I think I may push for the upgrade to 10 to see if that helps.  Otherwise, I think that we'll have to cut our losses on these collected points.  Thanks for your help though!
0 Kudos