ArcPad with Barcode Scanner

06-15-2011 10:48 AM
BradKiep
New Contributor III
Hello all,

I need to collect barcode data while completing a field survey with a Trimble GeoXH.  What are the steps to get the data from the barcode scanner and into a text attribute?  I have seen some posts that say it takes some customization, but no specifics.

My ideal setup would be to have a bluetooth connection to a barcode scanner. Then, when you perform a scan it populates text where the cursor is currently positioned in ArcPad. The entire contents of the barcode can be put in one field, I just want to capture it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help,
Brad
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RolfBroch
Occasional Contributor II
When you connect your barcode scanner to your device using bluetooth, ArcPad should treat the barcode scanner as an input device (like a soft keyboard)'

So if you have a text control as your active control, clicking the scan button on the barcode reader should place the code directly into your text control.

Rolf
0 Kudos
keithhartley
New Contributor
Hi Brad,
I'm trying to something similar with a bar code scanner. In the past for asset management we used a geoXT with the baracoda BBR-l road runner and terrasync. Sadly I can't get the old barcode scanner to work with the new geo, it keeps dropping the connection.  I'll let you know how it progresses when I figure it all out.
0 Kudos
keithhartley
New Contributor
Hi Brad,
I manged to get one of our old barcode scanners (baracoda BBR-L) to work. Baracoda made a program that basically manages and emulates a keyboard entry on virtually any bluetooth device (win-mo, windows 7 ect) called Baracoda manager. The issue was there was 2 barcode manager programs, and our scanners are older, and had issues working with the newer program. I had to figure out exactly what settings we needed with our barcodes, then set it up.

Then after I had baracoda manager and the Kmul emulator set up I went into arcpad and simply scanned in the barcode to the desired field. I didn't even have to set up the aux settings or port forwarding in arcpad! slick little piece of software. Hope this helps.

They also released a SDK with a .net library if you need to set it up.
0 Kudos
yanwei
by
New Contributor
hey Brad,

This site is all about barcode

http://www.keepautomation.com/guide/csharp_barcode_generator.html

Hope this imformation can give you some help.
0 Kudos
waynedobro
New Contributor
hello

there is an application called barcode 2 sql in app store. Free source to download. it scan the barcode and stores data in a database...
for more information check www.barcode2sql.com

hope it might be helpful 😉
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
This is an iOS app and currently ArcPad is not supported with iOS platform. ArcPad is supported on Windows Mobile, Windows XP, and Windows 7 platforms.

Denise

hello

there is an application called barcode 2 sql in app store. Free source to download. it scan the barcode and stores data in a database...
for more information check www.barcode2sql.com

hope it might be helpful 😉
0 Kudos
FrancescoDiPaolo
New Contributor II
Looking to replicate some of your processes.  Has there been any lessons learned or changes to your process flows in the last year?
0 Kudos
EricJohnson
New Contributor III
Hi, I am very interested in this as well, because we have a project coming up where we will be using a Geo XH to collect meter pit data, and the meters have barcodes. So we want to use a scanner to speed up the process, and to eliminate typo errors. Does anyone have advice on which scanners seem to work well with Trimble units running arcpad? Or any pitfalls to be aware of?

Eric
0 Kudos
rickcook
New Contributor
Hi, I am very interested in this as well, because we have a project coming up where we will be using a Geo XH to collect meter pit data, and the meters have   barcodes. So we want to use a scanner to speed up the process, and to eliminate typo errors. Does anyone have advice on which scanners seem to work well with Trimble units running arcpad? Or any pitfalls to be aware of? 

Eric

Similar problem
0 Kudos