ArcPAD settings for Garmin GPS

02-19-2011 07:31 AM
NickBirch
New Contributor II
Hi does anyone have the settings and can explain how to link a garmin gps unit to arcpad please?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Nick,

This would be dependent upon the Garmin GPS unit being set to output NMEA GPS sentences as ArcPad doesn't support Garmin's proprietary GPS format. Once connected and GPS on and running, open ArcPad and select GPS > GPS Preferences > GPS tab and run Find GPS utility (black binoculars) to search for the connected GPS. Please review the ArcPad Help for more information.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4946[/ATTACH]

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos
Nickburke
New Contributor
thanks for all your help
0 Kudos
TimStrickler
New Contributor II
Hi Nick,

This would be dependent upon the Garmin GPS unit being set to output NMEA GPS sentences as ArcPad doesn't support Garmin's proprietary GPS format. Once connected and GPS on and running, open ArcPad and select GPS > GPS Preferences > GPS tab and run Find GPS utility (black binoculars) to search for the connected GPS. Please review the ArcPad Help for more information.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4946[/ATTACH]

Cheers,
Denise

Does this mean you can now connect Garmin to ArcPad running on a laptop using just an USB port with out needing special software or an actual serial port?
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, if the device can be output to NMEA format and not to Garmin proprietary format only.

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos
TimStrickler
New Contributor II
Denise,

We are using both Garmin 60csx and 60s models. Both allow for the NMEA sentence structures, and we can get Garmins to work with ArcPad (on a DELL laptop) using a serial port. However, we cannot get ArcPad to recognize either Garmin model using a USB.  Is there a secert to this working outside of the norm (making sure both ArcPad and Garmin set to NEMA, BAUD rate etc)? Also, there only appears to be COM ports, should there not be a USB selection under the port drop down in ArcPad settings?

This has been attempted on multiple laptops and using both Garmin models, which is unfortunate because new laptops and the Garmin 62 series do not have native serial components and we have had to install software that emulates a serial port as the work around.

Thanks for your response!!!

Also as a follow up here is a response we have gotten back from our local ESRI team about our issues

Dave,

I have been communicating with the ArcPad development team, and it seems that at this stage that you need to use something like GpsGate in order to use a USB GPS with ArcPad.

I did some searching and found what could be free a alternative to GpsGate:
http://www.curioustech.net/xport.html

I have not tested this, as my laptop is running Windows 7 64-bit and Xport does not support 64-bit. But this may be a solution for you.

I am also working with the ArcPad development team to get this issue changed in a future version of ArcPad, but at this stage there is nothing definite.

Regards,
Shane

Thanks again,
Tim
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Tim,

You can only output to NMEA protocol when using serial connection. The USB is only Garmin protocol and like Shane stated you will need a 3rd party utility such as Franson's GpsGate to use Garmin USB GPS receiver with standard GPS applications. GpsGate has been recommended by many GPS users running ArcMap's GPS Toolbar, ArcPad, and ArcGIS Mobile applications.

Thank you,
Denise
0 Kudos
TimStrickler
New Contributor II
Just a suggestion, but Laptops and it looks like many handheld GPSs are moving away from serial connections and since Garmin is a nice, cost effective GPS it would seem that including an emulator in ArcPad to fix this issue would be a good thing.  We still use ArcPad for a lot of our recreational grade GPSs, but we are moving to other proprietary data collection software because of the number of hoops that you have to jump through to get this up and running. If you all fixed this and made tables easier to create/customize I think you would be golden.
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Tim,

I encourage you to submit this suggestion on ArcGIS Ideas site under ArcPad product. The ArcGIS Ideas site allows members of the GIS user communities to submit  enhancement requests online. The collection of user ideas on the site promotes  increased visibility and provides ways that readers can promote or demote an  idea. The site allows users to give comments or feedback regarding the  usefulness of a proposed idea, easily sort through community-authored  enhancements, and provide the Esri User Advocacy Group with real-life use cases  that help convert an idea into a function of the product.

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos