ArcPad on a Panasonic Tablet FZ-G1

11-14-2013 04:54 AM
KimProulx
New Contributor
Has anyone used ArcPad on a Panasonic ToughPad Tablet FZ-G1?  Or with a tablet using Windows 8 Pro operating system with success?
Tags (3)
19 Replies
mohdalsubaey
New Contributor
It is a Leadtek LR9548S.  Attached is the GPS spec sheet that we received from our dealer.

Mark

thank you marksteele for your reply

regarding to gps module for Panasonic fz-g1 I try to search in internet to find this product for my toughpad fz-g1 but no result can you please help me if you don't mind where I can buy it or at les to give me snap shot of you gps may be that will help me to find it
best regards
0 Kudos
mohdalsubaey
New Contributor
any one can help with part number og gps module please to install it to my fz-g1
0 Kudos
OscarFigueroa1
New Contributor
This is just a cautionary post.  I�??m not using the FZ-G1 with ArcPad but with ArcMobile for Windows.  There is a problem with the display of basemaps from the web where they are offset by hundreds of feet.  Only happens on device and not on desktops.  Looking for answer but nothing concrete from ESRI or from Panasonic
0 Kudos
JeffGarcia1
New Contributor II
Windows 7
ArcPad 10

We have recently purchased these units and are having some issues with the accuracy of the GPS data. From reading this forum and looking at the spec's IT didn't do) it seems the best I can get is around 6-15 foot accuracy. Is that going to be a true statement? Previously we had one GPS user, using a Trimble Geo XT 2008 series handheld and had 0.5 - 3 foot accuracy. We need that kind of accuracy being an utility operation. We are wondering if there are better ways to utilize gps'ing functionality with the Panasonic Tablet, differential correction method? Any other processes for us to explore or help from the community would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
BrettBlack
Occasional Contributor
From the spec's of the FZ-G1 it uses a SiRFstar III chipset, which is roughly 2-5 meter accuracy at best. ArcPad does not directly store raw data for you to deferentially correct the data, so that is not an option.

If you need improved accuracy, I would recommend looking at the Leica Geosystems GG03 SmartAntenna (link below). This would offer sub-meter accuracy when using SBAS corrections, or improved accuracy to 30-50cm if using a real-time network correction. If you were to add the L2 option, you could further improve that to 1cm accuracy if needed. If using ArcPad, Zeno Connect for the tablet would also be needed. Connections from the GG03 to the tablet can be done via bluetooth or a cabled connection.

http://www.leica-geosystems.us/en/Leica-Zeno-GG03_99885.htm
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
This is probably a daft question but I've been looking at these. Does the most basic unit come equipped with wifi?
0 Kudos
DavidCarpenter
Occasional Contributor

Hi There,

We are just getting started with PanasonicToughPads after years of success with ArcGIS Mobile 10 on ToughBooks.  I am currently trying to get ArcGIS Mobile 10.2 working on the ToughPad and we are having extremely poor results when trying to get ArcGIS Mobile to connect to the GPS.

We know the GPS is good, we have used the Panasonic GPS Viewer software to confirm satellite fix and the NMEA data stream on the COM port, however whe I start ArcGIS Mobile it will connect to the Port immediately but will not display on the GPS data on GPS Status Page or the Map View for up to 10 min.  After it finally begins to read the NMEA data stream very quickly it seems to loose it so your position on the map does not change / refresh and the application does not seem to recover.

Has anyone had similar issues with GPS connectivity from ArcPad or ArcGIS Mobile on Panasonic ToughPads (FZ-G1 Mark 2)?  Is there a resolution or is this a known issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
juliaharrell2
New Contributor II

David -

Did you ever find a fix for this GPS issue?  We've got a bunch of 10" ToughPads w/ GPS being delivered in about a month and at the moment, it looks like we're going to have to use one of the (relatively) 'out of the box' ArcMobile for Windows projects as an interim solution while we wait for contractor delays on a custom mobile app that isn't materializing on time. Was not aware this was an issue with the ToughPads. Our field crews won't be real happy with this kind of performance.  

Thanks in advance for any info you might have,

Julia

0 Kudos
DavidCarpenter
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julia,

Actually there is a fix. ESRI has Location API Connection Extension for ArcGIS Mobile. There are two versions available, one for 10.2 and one for the latest release of 10.2.1, you have to download and copy the .dlls specific to the version of mobile you are using…..one does not work with the other. I would recommend using ArcGIS Mobile 10.2.1 since it will support ArcGIS Server 10.3. Instructions to set up the DLLs are in README file in the download, you want to use the .dlls and .ame file in the Release Assemblies folder.

The extension for 10.2.1 can be found here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ceaa0767a5274df9a6e688d2352fddcf

The dlls for 10.2 are here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d4829d8173964e708f001d3a9858da91

When you use the extension, on the GPS Status page in ArcGIS Mobile you see that it changes from showing COM Ports, etc to a much more simplified screen essentially just staging that is using the Location API Connection. At that point your application will connect perfectly to the GPS.

David Carpenter

Ph. 204-360-7656

0 Kudos
juliaharrell2
New Contributor II

That's great to hear - thanks so much for the quick reply!

0 Kudos