ArcPad on a HTC HD2:  what port to use for the GPS?

04-30-2010 09:08 PM
PeterMorrison
New Contributor II
Does anyone know what port the GPS is on in the HTC HD2?  Also, is the GPS protocol NEMA or SiRF?

Thanks,
Peter
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JoshMoloney
New Contributor
Does anyone know what port the GPS is on in the HTC HD2?  Also, is the GPS protocol NEMA or SiRF?

Thanks,
Peter

Try 4 and SIRF
0 Kudos
BrendanSmith
New Contributor
I too am having troubles with the GPS on my HD2. I'm using the above sttings and it appears to recognise it, but the GPS never locks onto a single satellite.

Any thoughts anyone?

Ta,

Brendan
0 Kudos
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
Hi guys,

There's a built-in feature in ArcPad, that automatically finds and connects to your GPS, called FindGPS. You can find it on GPS tab (in GPS Preferences). Just press the black spy-glass icon to search for GPS. It should find the device and set up the necessary settings. If not, you should need to configure your GPS on HD2 or lookup in the user guide or on forums...

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
AlperALTINOK
New Contributor
And do not forget to run QuickGPS first, in Start/Tools. As far as I understand, It helps for faster lock, normally I start reading coords like 10-15 secs. after activating GPS in arcpad. Here is another problem with HD2, arcpad 8 gives an error message, cant translate it exactly but its something like, "signals coming faster then machine(software?) can process" result is coordinates are there, satel. numbers there, but no bars over sat. numbers. Should I concern about it?

Regards,
0 Kudos
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
And do not forget to run QuickGPS first, in Start/Tools. As far as I understand, It helps for faster lock, normally I start reading coords like 10-15 secs. after activating GPS in arcpad. Here is another problem with HD2, arcpad 8 gives an error message, cant translate it exactly but its something like, "signals coming faster then machine(software?) can process" result is coordinates are there, satel. numbers there, but no bars over sat. numbers. Should I concern about it?

Regards,

What QuickGPS does? It downloads the almanac file to your device to know where the satellites should be and looked for and this eliminates the following: when you start your GPS without this, the first thing your device does, downloading a recent almanac (if doesn't store any that still valid) for the same reason 🙂

To the question about "faster than can handle": I have no idea... Does your HTC runs WM 6.5? Just because AP8 doesn't support WM 6.5. It may run on this platform, but can cause several problems like this...

Zoltan
0 Kudos
AlperALTINOK
New Contributor

To the question about "faster than can handle": I have no idea... Does your HTC runs WM 6.5? Just because AP8 doesn't support WM 6.5. It may run on this platform, but can cause several problems like this...

Zoltan

Yes it is WM6.5, I hope AP10 supports this platform. And I really hope they manage to bring it out, before summer (survey season;) ) ends.. Really have no clue for D-day...
0 Kudos
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
Yes it is WM6.5, I hope AP10 supports this platform. And I really hope they manage to bring it out, before summer (survey season;) ) ends.. Really have no clue for D-day...

Yep, AP 10 supports WM 6.5, but no idea for its release, sorry... (Probably with ArcGIS 10 at Fall.)

Zoltan
0 Kudos
SteveShafer
New Contributor
I'll join in the discussion. I have an HTC HD2 and just got the evaluation version of ArcPad 10 and have had no luck in getting it to connect to the internal GPS in the phone. I used the binocular icon referenced above and was pleased to see it scanning. Unfortunately it said it found no GPS devices. Lies. Lies I tell you. Google maps has no trouble using the internal GPS. Is there a secret COM port that only google has access to? I tried the COM 4 SIRF combination and got no data in the Debug window. I tried a few other combinations and had no luck. Does anyone have any further ideas? I'd love for this to work.

Steve
0 Kudos
JMontgomery
New Contributor
Try

Protocal: NMEA 0183
Port: COM4
Baud: 4800

I hope this works.
0 Kudos