ArcPad for Topcon GMS-2

05-19-2010 05:54 AM
FallTroy
New Contributor III
Hello all,

We are looking to purchase a Topcon GMS-2 gps system and I am looking to install Arcpad as well. If anyone has any input on topcon such as...

-How easy or hard it was to use
-If there are any detailed instructions on installation. (Would topcon provide this or ArcPad?)
-Any information on how hard/easy it was to transfer data? Such as exporting shp to Desktop

I am just nervous to spend this kind of money and have found less detailed information online than I was expecting from both Topcon and ArcPad.

Thanks
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZoltanKovacs1
New Contributor
Hello,

I was wondering on your post. If I were you, I was going to ask my Topcon and ESRI reseller/distributor about these questions. However, do you need this accuracy? Do you really know, that the advertised cm accuracy can be achieved with an external Geodetic antenna (probably with at least 10 min static measurement) and probably you need specific application(s) to enable/able to post-process and real-time corrections? These are the first questions that are just came in to my mind.

Another issue is to achieve the advertised accuracy in ArcPad, since this application itself doesn't support/compute/handle any corrections on your data on NMEA protocoll. Unless your GPS receiver does it internally and output those corrected data on NMEA, you won't get any corrected position in ArcPad without any specific extension - like GPScorrect for ArcPad from Trimble to handle real-time corrections for Trimble MGIS GPS-enabled handhelds.

So before you purchase, the more you ask, the more answers you got (or not) for your questions. And I really recommend to lookup on other - specific mobile GIS - forums to see whether it works or not. And if possible, ask product brochures and guidelines from your resellers and read them very thoroughly. (Usually, you can download them from manufacturers' website too, if your reseller doesn't provide them. Unfortunately, there are some of them, who tend to hide extra costs before you purchase, and it will be revealed when it's too late and spent a fortune on a device/system...)

Another good idea to ask a demo from your hardware reseller to see how the particular system (device+software) works. If they have nothing to hide, they will be ready to do this. Do not fear to ask, it's all about your money and not to mention, you should work effectively with the solution after all!

Hope this helps and won't be too late.
0 Kudos
JeffBailey
New Contributor
The GM-2 is a Windows CE 5.0 device and runs ArcPad 7.1.
To run ArcPad 8 and ArcPad 10 you require Windows Mobile. The TopCon GRS-1 is a Windows Mobile device.

Hello all,

We are looking to purchase a Topcon GMS-2 gps system and I am looking to install Arcpad as well. If anyone has any input on topcon such as...

-How easy or hard it was to use
-If there are any detailed instructions on installation. (Would topcon provide this or ArcPad?)
-Any information on how hard/easy it was to transfer data? Such as exporting shp to Desktop

I am just nervous to spend this kind of money and have found less detailed information online than I was expecting from both Topcon and ArcPad.

Thanks
0 Kudos
BrunoLoetscher
New Contributor
Hallo

I've just seen your post. Unfortunatly not earlier. To use ArcPad with a TopCon GMS-2 (Pro) or GRS-1 with ArcPad for high accuraccy, you need to install on top of ArcPad the extension eTop+. With this Tool you're able to use DGPS as well as just GPS+GLONASS accuracy. Beside this option, lots of further functionality is available with eTop+, like split Polygon and much more. Please contact me for further information.

Bruno Lötscher

Philipona & Brügger
Plaffeien, Switzerland
0 Kudos
StephenQuan
Occasional Contributor
I'm not sure about the GMS-2 but some of the TopCon units have an integrated camera, but it requires their camera driver before it works in ArcPad.

As to the ease of installation, I'd even recommend getting the evaluation copy of ArcPad from the ESRI website and try the installation procedure on the TopCon unit yourself or have a TopCon rep attempt it for you.
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
[INDENT]ArcPad users have requested this type of functionality be added to the ready-to-deploy ArcPad application and was recently submitted on Ideas site, http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=...egory%3DArcPad, so visit the site to discuss and vote on this and other great Ideas. In the meantime, you might want to look at a 3rd party solution, APToolBox from iNovaGIS found here http://www.inovagis.com/gbr/aptoolbox.htm. I have done recent testing and APToolBox also works with ArcPad 8 and ArcPad 10 releases.

Cheers,
Denise [/INDENT]
0 Kudos